We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

One chromosome build up

Post here for your queries about DNA, or help fellow researchers understand theirs.
gwilym'smum

One chromosome build up

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hello,
I manage my cousin's DNA account. We are trying to discover her paternal grandfather. I have tried all the strategies of grouping and quick and dirty trees. Unfortunately there is only one match at 129 cM level the rest hover around the 40 cM level, so the WATO tool on DNA Painter does not work. I have been using GedMatch's chromosome information to make a spread sheet of chromosome matches and positions on the chromosome. There are quite a number of matches on chromosome 7. I seem to recall an article which I read but can't remember where, which said that a build up on one chromosome was an indication that these matches were false matches. I would be grateful if anyone could throw any light on this please to let me know if my memory is playing me false.
Thank you
Ann Simcock
meekhcs

Re: One chromosome build up

Post by meekhcs »

https://thegeneticgenealogist.com/

This is the site of Blaine Bettinger well known DNA expert. You may find the answer here.
Sally
gwilym'smum

Re: One chromosome build up

Post by gwilym'smum »

Thank you for that I will check it out. Have been on there before but not looked for an answer to this problem.
Thanks
Ann