We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

DNA

Post here for your queries about DNA, or help fellow researchers understand theirs.
Hardwork

Re: DNA

Post by Hardwork »

QUOTE: chiddicks - "......... plus you can upload your raw data after tomadditional sites such as my heritage and gedmatch. Autosomal matches both paternal and maternal lines, a Y DNA test only matches the paternal line."

You can upload those results as you say, but if your matches haven't uploaded theirs to Gedmatch then you are no further forward on seeing which are the matching chromosomes and segments and using that information to triangulate the results. Probably it pays to test with several companies if one can afford to, to get on as many databases as possible. Only a relatively small fraction of testers go on to put their results on Gedmatch.

Though autosomal tests do indeed show inherited matches on both paternal and maternal branches, they generally get harder to identify beyond about the 4th cousin range, but that can be sufficient for some testers. Y DNA tests, though only tracing through the male line, cover a lineage well beyond the (paper based) genealogical time frame as well to the present, and mutations are relatively slow, so they can be very useful for finding close and distant cousins, again, if sufficient people have tested. The key is what is the question one is hoping to answer by DNA testing, as to which type of test is the most beneficial, and in some cases both types may be necessary.
paulH01

Post by paulH01 »

I think I understand most of the caveats that come with DNA results.
I have only done Living DNA so far (the first set of results tied in quite well with my paper trail, the second updated version they provided recently I suspect goes a lot further back in time, but that's by the by).
The reasons I chose Living DNA were a) more extensive-looking UK regional analysis and b) the data is kept in Europe, and is subject to their Data Protection laws. The latter is very important to me.
I gather I could take my DNA data file from Living DNA and upload it to GEDmatch, for example, and other projects/suppliers.
It might be interesting to do this, but I'd appreciate any feedback on a) what something like GEDmatch might offer me in addition to what I already have, and, particularly, b) the Data Protection situation - does anyone know if any other product/supplier keeps its data in Europe only?

Thanks
Paul H
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Gedmatch has an opt-in, to share your DNA with police, should you so wish. Whether they keep their dat in Europ I don't know, you'll need to read their Terms and Conditions, which can be found her: https://www.gedmatch.com/tos.php
Hardwork

Post by Hardwork »

PaulHO1

I believe anyone living in the EU is covered by European data privacy laws irrespective of where the data results are held. That is why US companies were scrambling to be GDPR compliant.

Are you sure Living DNA data is kept in Europe? A previous incarnation (well having the same address, from memory) was DNA Worldwide who were just a re-seller of FTDNA kits and they were shipped to the US for analysis. That was around 2014 however, so things may well have changed when Living DNA came into being.

What analysis tools do Living DNA provide? I think I am correct in saying none just yet, though I believe they are working on it. Gedmatch do provide tools plus a paid for tier for extra tools if one wishes. Again, I believe, but cannot be sure, Gedmatch's opt in sharing with police is purely for US police forces.
paulH01

Post by paulH01 »

Thank you - I'll have another look at Gedmatch, in that case.

Didn't know that many US companies were compliant with GDPR, it's been a problem for UK companies I've worked for in the past to find a non-US backup server.

Living DNA was definitely kept in Europe when I signed up in 2017. I know they've merged with FindMyPast since then, but if they've changed that.... I should have been informed.
Not sure what analysis tools Gedmatch has, as I said I'll have a look, but as far as I know Living DNA just does the profile, with no other analysis tools, and they've started Family Matching - there is also a Wellbeing Kit now.

Thanks again.
VenomousSeraphim

Post by VenomousSeraphim »

I did my DNA test through 23andMe, and uploaded the raw data to MyHeritage, GenomeLink and other DNA sites. I learned a lot about the roots I thought I had and the DNA roots I actually have. I opted for sharing and have plenty of small matches, but none close enough to be of use yet. I'm looking for an elusive great grandfather too.