We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Notes

How to do genealogy research - tips from members who have been there, done that ...
meekhcs

Notes

Post by meekhcs »

One of the most important things to do when ceating a Family Tree is to keep proper Notes as you research. ! How many of us have repeated research because we haven't done this?

Personally, I break my Tree down into four sections according to the surnames of my Grandparents. I then keep a notebook for each of the four surnames and in this I record any pieces of info I find that I cannot readily add to my tree, but may be useful in the future or need further research.

If it's a joint Tree with husband/partners then you will end up with 8 surnames and 8 books.

Each note contains the person's name, the date I found the info, where I found the info, a brief description of what I have found, and where I need to go to find further info or confirm the info I have eg Library, another website, a Records Office etc.

I admit I am still an old fashioned pen and paper Girl, but this method works for me. Other members will use their computers/Laptops to do the same thing and will hopefully expand on this post by adding their methods.
Sally
Norfolk Nan

Re: Notes

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thanks for that, you’re far more organised than me - I’ve got many notebooks, files of loose sheets of scribbles and computerised lists and notes but It’s far too random. I’m sure I’d save myself a lot of time if I was better organised.
Guy

Post by Guy »

I agree keeping notes is very important, but I also believe going over old research is important as well.
As our tree develop is can be very helpful to re-look at earlier research to check facts, see if anything has been missed or mis-transcribed in ealier searches, check older sources with later releases of sources etc.
This is even more important where in the past we have been limited to transcripts rather than original records including such things as Bishop's Transcripts rather than original Parish Registers and comparing alternative copies of parish registers to determine the original version of the register, sometimes the are three or more versions of a section of a parish register and we may only have access to one version originally.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Absolutely agree, Guy. I revisit my trees regularly. With fresh eyes, extra experience and more information released online it’s a valuable exercise if only to highlight the gaffs I made in the past :D
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Norfolk Nan it has taken me a long time to reach this format, and was one of the first things I tackled in lockdown. The scribbled notes have been banished to the bin!

Guy agree completely. Research will always evolve as we strive for accuracy and to further confirm past findings.

I regularly revisit my Tree, especially my brickwalls. But it is also comforting to look back and re read all the little nuggets I have found in the past but have sometimes forgotten.
Sally