We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Google is your friend.

How to do genealogy research - tips from members who have been there, done that ...
meekhcs

Google is your friend.

Post by meekhcs »

I always enter my Ancestors name in the search Engine to see if it reveals anything new. Often it is possible to find little snippets of info that do not appear on the main Family History websites. Eg A relative died in WW1, but apart from details of his parents, which Regiment he served in and where he was honoured I hadn't unearthed anything else. By entering his name in Google I discovered that he worked for a Bank and was remembered on their War Memorial page.

Google is also a wonderful tool for turning up little Village websites full of useful info. Eg I discovered a website for Barton Stacey that had a piece on the Swing Riots, another Website was for Wonston that had transcriptions from some of its Parish Registers, both villages in Hampshire.

I fully recommend time spent browsing if you have an hour to spare.
Sally
Norfolk Nan

Re: Google is your friend.

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I agree about the village/community websites. They can be little goldmines of very useful and fascinating information.