We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

USA

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
KayFarndon

USA

Post by KayFarndon »

I am hoping that a member of the forum might be able to shine a light on two young women, presumably sisters. They were called Anna and Emma White and on correspondence to a Len Walker of Leicestershire, called themselves his cousin. Len's full name was Nathaniel Robert Lane Walker and around 1910 he went to visit a relative in the USA, where he met up with the White girls. They lived in Philadelphia and I have never been able to find where they fit into the family, or their ages. They used Americanisms in their writing, which makes me think they had lived in the USA for a while. This is not something wholly important, I would just like to find them and fit them into our story.
VALLMO9

Re: USA

Post by VALLMO9 »

On the correspondence to Len, is there a Philadelphia address on it? I'm not trying to be funny, but what sort of Americanisms did the girls use?

Also what year was Len born?

As Len went to the USA circa 1910 there should hopefully be a Passenger record for him. I have two separate ancestors' Passenger records c1910/1911 and both listed local Philly addresses, which was very helpful.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

KayFarndon wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 16:37 Len's full name was Nathaniel Robert Lane Walker
There's a 1908 Passenger record for a Leonard Robert Lane Walker (fitter from Leicester), arriving Boston, Massachusetts. According to the image, he was visiting his Uncle William Walker. Address looks like "Sterling Hill (Rd), Moosup, Connecticut". Record and image on Ancestry and FS.

QUESTION: Was Len's father named Christopher H Walker from Durham? Looks like he emigrated to the USA in 1889. Also, he had a brother named William (who could be Len's uncle?)

Massachusetts, State and Federal Naturalization Records, 1798-1950
Name: Christopher H Walker
Petition Age: 34
Record Type: Petition
Birth Date: 3 Dec 1861
Birth Place: Hartlepool Durham, England
Arrival Date: 10 Mar 1889
Arrival Place: New York City
Petition Date: abt 1895
Petition Place: New Bedford, Bristol, Massachusetts, USA

Hope I haven't gone down a rabbit hole with the wrong family, but I love the fact Christopher Walker's stated profession in his 1895 Petition document is "Professional Nurse". :D He can be found in the 1900 census as "C Harry Walker" (nurse) living at Acushnet Avenue, New Bedford, Mass. He may be the Harry C Walker (messenger) living in Oakland, California in the 1930 census.
KayFarndon

Post by KayFarndon »

Hello VALLO9, thank you so much for your very in depth replies. You made me look at the Walker tree, something I have not done for a long time and yes, Christopher Walker did have a brother called William and you certainly have the correct family. It was always assumed that Christopher Walker had just upped and gone to the USA and stayed there and I was not aware that his brother William was in the USA, so perhaps he went to join him and Len visited them both.

The Americanisms were: gotten, and not as we would say, got. Also, 'I'm glad you struck a swift place' which I assume means to have found lodgings quickly. There were addresses in Germantown, Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and the address in Philadelphia I wrote to and received a reply in the negative, so many years later, obviously and no-one had heard of them. Len was born in 1885.

Once again my sincere thanks and I omitted to say that I originally had a similar posting about the White girls on the WDYTYA? forum.
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

KayFarndon wrote: I omitted to say that I originally had a similar posting about the White girls on the WDYTYA? forum.
I hope the penalty fine won't be too big.
KayFarndon wrote: In 1908 and 1909 a Leicestershire man named Leonard Walker went to the USA to visit a relative. While he was there he corresponded and possibly stayed with Emma and Annie White who lived at 65, East Garfield, Germantown Philadelphia.

Dialogue shows they referred to each other as cousins, but I cannot make any connection. The language the two women used contained American idioms, so I am not sure whether they were born in the USA or had been there long enough to start to talk as natives.

I realise that this is a bit of a bizarre information for forum users, but I hope someone can give me an idea of how to go about linking these three people.
Well, here is a White family at 65 East Garfield Street, Philadelphia, in the US 1910 census
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1727033

Thomas White Head 64 born England Stone Cutter
Elizabeth White Wife 62 England
Ethel White Daughter 34 England
Joseph C White Son 30 England
Mary A White Daughter 28 England
Cora White Daughter 22 Pennsylvania
Emma White Daughter 19 Pennsylvania

Married 38 years, 9 children born, 8 living
Immigration year 1883, Naturalized
Other occupations given, see image
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Here are the White family in Philadelphia in 1900
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1325221

More children. Between Ethel, 24, and Joseph C, 20, is a son John, 22
Says immigration year 1872 ! But also 18 years in the US, so I think an error there!
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Could this be them living in Stoney Stanton, Leicestershire, in the 1881 census?
Piece 3130 folio 119 page 15
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27J-9668

18 Huncote Lane
Thomas White 34 Quarryman
Elizabeth White 32
Margaret M White 7
Ethel White 5
John White 3
Joseph C White 1

All born Stoney Stanton
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Birth registrations
WHITE, MARGARET MAY
Mother's Maiden Surname: FOX
GRO Reference: 1874 M Quarter in HINCKLEY Volume 07A Page 47

WHITE, ETHEL
GRO Reference: 1876 M Quarter in HINCKLEY Volume 07A Page 56

WHITE, JOHN
GRO Reference: 1877 D Quarter in HINCKLEY Volume 07A Page 49

WHITE, CLEMENT JOSEPH
GRO Reference: 1880 M Quarter in HINCKLEY Volume 07A Page 55
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

A marriage at Stoney Stanton, 3 June 1873

Thomas White, 29, father John White
+
Elizabeth Jaques Fox, 25, father James Fox
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QP4W-1PCX

GRO - registered June quarter 1873, Hinckley, vol 7a page 149
KayFarndon

Post by KayFarndon »

Sincere thanks for all the replies, you are an amazing group of people. Stoney Stanton is definitely the correct place and there is obviously a connection between the Walker and White families, something I need to look at. Another signature on a postcard I have puzzled over and now know it was Cora.
Thank you.