We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Parmiter Nuns

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
VALLMO9

Re: Parmiter Nuns

Post by VALLMO9 »

There are about 30 monograph search results for him on the Italian OPAC SBN (Catalog of the National Library Service). Looks like he was involved in a variety of legal judgments during the 1890s and early 1900s.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Hi Devonliz yes I take your point, I was just surprised to see it applied to someone so young. Too used to seeing "single" or "unmarried" methinks!
Sally
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Hi Mo, thanks I have been scouring google too!
Sally
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Updates.

I have compared the 1851 census record for St Monica's Spetisbury and 1861 census for St Margaret's Edinburgh and found several girls have transferred from one to the other so am more convinced that MP is Maria Shepherd Parmiter.

I have found a book on St Margarets, the founder of which was the Rev James Gillis, who had catholic connections with the Weld Family in Dorset which may be why Girls transferred betweenn Convents after many Nuns in Spetisbury formed a closed order and moved to Devon.

In 1871 MP was with the Stapley Miles Family in Hackney. 6 miles down the road was an Ursuline convent St Angela's at Forest Gate. The Ursulines were/are known for their work in the community and it may be that MP was attached to this Convent.

I cannot find a reference for MP in St Angela's in 1881 etc. I have not discounted the fact that she may have moved abroad to USA/Canada/Europe, but have been unable to find any references for her.

I have connected with a Guy at Rootschat who offers help in Italian research who is going to try and find out more about MP's sister Sarah in Rome. But as with here, all record offices in Italy have been closed and no doubt the list of requests for his time has grown!!
I will revisit this particular brickwall again in another couple of months
Sally