We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Newspaper Help

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Norfolk Nan

Newspaper Help

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi - can anyone help? On 18 June 1952 my great grandfather, Bertie Daniel Green, died at the British Museum. My mother, his granddaughter, read the news in the evening paper - she thinks possibly the Evening Standard.- It might only be a small 'stop press' mention and could be on either the front page or the back page. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help track it down please. Thank you.
VALLMO9

Re: Newspaper Help

Post by VALLMO9 »

Hi Chris - was he a museum employee? Or just a visitor? Just looking for additional keywords to search with, in case his name wasn't mentioned.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hello!

He was an employee, a room attendant I think.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Looks like the BNA only have the London Evening Standard up until 1949. So that would explain why you can't find him (in 1952).
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Well, thank you for confirming that. I’m not good at newspaper research so it’s great to have a fresh pair of eyes take a look. I think I’d probably find a paper copy at the British Library but not right now... thank you for looking :D
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

FMP's collection for the LES is the same: up to 1949 only.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Mo, there used to be an Evening News too but I couldn’t find that online either. I’m trying another tack and have emailed the British Museum to see if they hold any relevant records - you never know :shock: :D
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

And don't forget the News Chronicle - where my Mum worked during WW2! :D
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Try contacting the LES through their customer services section. The website is https://www.standard.co.uk/archive. Click on contact us at bottom of page, then on customer services within the link. You can then make an online enquiry.
Sally
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thanks both. Mum was sure it was the Evening Standard until I mentioned the other newspaper. Then she said ‘it could be that one!’ :shock: Lol!