We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Clandestine Marriage and Baptism Registers

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
woodchal

Clandestine Marriage and Baptism Registers

Post by woodchal »

I don't think this the person I was looking for, but I found this and wondered what it is?

It says London, England, Clandestine Marriage and Baptism Registers, 1667-1754 and appears to be from Fleet Notebooks (Ashwell), 1741 Dec - 1742 Feb

I can't quite read this, but I think it says Quarrelsome People and that they "locked the door" Out of general interest anybody have anything to add?

Screenshot 2021-02-05 at 16.43.29.jpg
Screenshot 2021-02-05 at 16.43.29.jpg (290.84 KiB) Viewed 1242 times
VALLMO9

Re: Clandestine Marriage and Baptism Registers

Post by VALLMO9 »

The Notebooks did include amusing comments. One notebook entry from 1734 offered this gem: "This couple had cohabitated many years....Rachel was the prettiest woman I ever saw".

Another entertaining remark, this one from 1740: "He said he was a gentleman's coachman, but afterwards said he only told me so, in order to marry him cheap". :lol:

As a side note: The start of the year in almost all the registers before 1753 is on the old 25th March basis. Thereafter, dating changed, apart from the odd lapse, to the calendar year.

Note: Having found a marriage, researchers are recommended to look for the relevant notebook, if it still exists, as there may be additional information