We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Edward Jopling/Jobling 1828-1892

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
meekhcs

Edward Jopling/Jobling 1828-1892

Post by meekhcs »

Hello Everyone
Edward was my husband's 3rd gt grandfather.
I have researched his life very thoroughly and have all the pieces except one.

Brief Bio
Bn 1828 East Rainton Durham to Thomas Jobling and Dorothy Ramshaw
1841 census for whole Family is missing
1851 census Usworth Colliery village with parents, engine driver
13 Nov 1852 marr. Sarah Musther (various spellings!) St Andrews Church Newcastle upon Tyne
son George 1854-1856
dgtr Jane Charlotte 1855-1856
dgtr Rebecca 1857-1935
son George 1860-1926
1861 census Howden North Bedburn colliery engine driver
son Thomas 1863-1868
son Thomas Edward 1870-1952
1871 census The Queen's Head Adelaide St Southwick Sunderland, Lic Vic
1881 census Lanark House Pear Tree Green Southampton Hampshire
1891 Palmyra Villa, Woolston, Southampton, Hampshire
30 Jan 1892 death.

I have thoroughly researched Edward and his Family BUT, in his obituary, it was written that Edward lost a foot. I think this was probably the reason he left the mining industry and briefly took the Queen's Head, before moving with his wife, and children who were still alive, and set up The Durham Coal Wharf on the banks of the Itchen in Woolston Southampton in the 1870s, selling coal to the local community.

To date I have not managed to find details of his mining accident. I have managed to narrow the timing down as follows:-
According to his son Thomas' death cert, Thomas died 7 October 1868. The Family were living at Alma Cottage, Pelton Fell Durham and Edward was recorded as an engine driver.
By the time son Thomas Edward was born in August 1870 the Family were living at The Queen's Head.
If anyone can find any details of the accident I would be enormously grateful.

Thank you
Sally
Mick Loney

Re: Edward Jopling/Jobling 1828-1892

Post by Mick Loney »

Meekhcs,
You know what they say about making assumptions :D
There may be another reason for losing his foot, apart from a mining accident.
Did he lose it through illness such as diabetes, or an accident with a horse and cart, when a brewers drayman ran over his foot?
The reasons are manyfold, so keep your options open :D
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Apologies Mick
I should have made it clear that The obit said he lost his foot whilst working in the mining business
Sally
phsvm

Post by phsvm »

Have you thought of contacting the Durham Mining Museum and see if they have any information?

They have quite a detailed website as well.

http://www.dmm.org.uk/
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

meekhcs wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 16:21 Apologies Mick
I should have made it clear that The obit said he lost his foot whilst working in the mining business
Nuff said :D
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

phsvm
Thank you
Yes I have visited the Dining Museum website which is excellent.
I have also googled variations of Railway/ mining/ accidents/1860s and Edwards name and searched newspapers on FMP.
I have just popped a message on the NE Forum in the hope that something maybe available locally.
Sally
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Try searching this online database: http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/ar ... den-Depths
The surnames Jobling, Joblin, and Jopling are listed in the NAME drop-down menu.

"Some of the records indexed are simple lists of workers' names, associated with a particular colliery, and the original document may not contain much more information than the index. Other records give a surprising amount of detail about individual miners, their injuries and their dependents. The union records include accident compensation records and many miners are documented because coal mining was such a dangerous industry.
The project is continuing and it is possible that other records relating to an individual will be indexed later. A search of the main Record Office database may give other references to that individual (you should only search for their surname) but, if not, we may be able to help you if you use our paid Research Service".
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Thanks vallmo

I had looked at this web page before, and I have re looked now, and found nothing.

I am not sure whether the accident happened at the pithead or at the delivery end which I presume was the docks. Hence my post on NE Forum (which so far is unanswered). I thought perhaps there may be local knowledge of where else the accident may have been reported apart from Mining websites, railway websites and newspapers.

Although I have the address for Pelton Fell in 1868 I have no idea where he was working at the time or which route he may have taken. I need to dig further into the train/delivery routes from that area.
Sally
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Are there any patient records of the infirmary in Newcastle?
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Thanks jonwarrn

It looks as though the records are held at Tyne and Wear Archives. I will drop them a line........and why didn't I think of that? My ability to think outside the box has waned.
Sally