We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Julia Byrne

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
windowframe

Julia Byrne

Post by windowframe »

I have a Irish birth cert for Julia Byrne born 5 June 1922 in Baltinglass,Ireland also have her civil cert as well.
On the Irish cert it shows it must have been reissued on 29/4/1954, but on the back it shows a stamp with the words
"single women section 14 Nov 1980 received" does anyone know what that means.
I cannot seem to find a marriage or death for Julia as well, any help would be very much appreciated.
Julia parents on the civil cert. show as James Byrne and Rose Byrne nee Balfe living at Grainey,Ireland.
Thank you again in advance.
Guy

Re: Julia Byrne

Post by Guy »

It is to do with discrimination against women see:-
https://tinyurl.com/y6mgafsr
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
windowframe

Post by windowframe »

Many thanks for your reply and help Guy.
I checked out the site you mentioned and read the part that related to Ireland.
As Julia was born in 1922 and that the Irish birth cert was re-issued in 1954 and that the
stamp on back of cert is dated Nov 1980, my question is:
Was it so they had to show their birth cert to get it stamped in 1980 so they had all
benefits as stated on the Human Rights discrimination against women?? To prove who
they were and where born??
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

windowframe wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 03:45 but on the back it shows a stamp with the words
"single women section 14 Nov 1980 received" does anyone know what that means.
If it helps, I've seen that term used in relation to ship's (immigration) passenger records, etc. If she did immigrate, it might explain why she had a re-issued birth cert (in the absence of her original birth record). And it also might explain why you haven't found a marriage or death record for her. She may have married and/or died in a foreign country.
windowframe

Post by windowframe »

Thank you for that info VALLMO9.
Will need to do some more checking to see if she did go overseas, but I am of the opinion
that she stayed in her hometown, but I could be wrong.
I thought she may have got her re-issued birth cert because she needed it to get married.
Have searched so many Julia Byrne's I am at a loss of which one she is. Too
expenses to buy them all, checked the irish genealogy site.
Thanks again.