We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

James Trimble (1807 – 1867) Ancestors Brick Wall

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
VALLMO9

Re: James Trimble (1807 – 1867) Ancestors Brick Wall

Post by VALLMO9 »

Check for your known ancestors in Irish newspapers. Depending on how notable they were at the time, you might find birth, marriage, and death notices for some of them. Quite often, these notices will include other family member names, which is a bonus. Marriage notices sometimes provide the bride and groom's fathers' names and address (e.g. "John Smith of street/town/city"), which is always very welcome.

As your ancestor was a teacher, there's a good chance they'll be a marriage or death notice for him.

If you have the FMP sub which includes newspapers, select "Irish newspapers" in the left-hand Collections menu. If you don't have a FMP sub, the BNA will have an Irish newspapers collection, as well.

There was another thread on this Forum, in which 19th-century notices in Irish newspapers helped confirm earlier generations. I'm in the middle of moving house (UGH!) so I can't recall the actual thread. But I assisted with the newspaper research. :D

I have to ask: why do you want to be related to a Confederate General? :o
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Thepastisyourself wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 18:38 You ask why I want to be related to a Confederate General. I certainly would have supported the Union Cause.
Actually it was a rhetorical question. ;) I have a paternal ancestor who fought at Gettysburg, so I was already aware of General Trimble.

Good luck with your Irish newspapers research. I do know that Belfast newspapers have their fare share of family notices, so you might get lucky. If you do find some 19th-century family notices, hopefully they will provide leads as to which Trimble line you descend from. As the old catchphrase goes, "Follow the money" although I use it in the strict investigative sense as regards family history. Irish newspaper notices will, indeed, help you "Follow the money".
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Reading about these Trimbles from Northern Ireland, made me think of David Trimble ( now Baron Trimble) the first First Minister of Northern Ireland and a Nobel Peace Prize winner. Now he would be a great person to be related to😀
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

There are certainly a couple of death announcements for James Trimble, 20 January 1867, at his residence, 112, Conway Street, Belfast, aged sixty years. When irishgenealogy.ie complete their death records back to 1864 we can all take a look at the cert for free. Age on death also given as 60.
Which might give a birth year of 1806.
How do you know he was born in Lisburn?
If you think his family might have been Church of Ireland, then you would look to see if any parish registers of the period from Lisburn have survived.

Mention of Lisburn and the name Patterson brings to mind one of my favourite books with a family history background, Once upon a Hill, by Glenn Patterson. Which was still on the shelves at my local library before the lockdown!

Much more exciting than any politician or confederate general, you could be related to Debbie Harry!