We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Moses Thomas , February 1854, Tonypandy area

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
DianneTonyrefail

Moses Thomas , February 1854, Tonypandy area

Post by DianneTonyrefail »

Still seeking my g.g.grandfather's birth confirmation. Have it in the family bible, but no sign of it in the usual registration records. Already raised on the old forum, with some minor success - that he may have been take in by some neighbours in Cymmer/Dinas (Porth) in the Rhondda valley - name of Richards (Catherine - nee Howells - and Morgan) - as he appears as part of their household on the 1861 and 1871 censuses (if the correct Moses Thomas.) In later censuses he says he was born in either Ystrad or Tonypandy (close together, I know) but I have been unable to find his birth record anywhere. Perhaps it is simply a matter that he never was registered or possibly registered under a different name. I have tried the other surnames mentioned here, but no luck. Has anyone any knowledge, please? Moses married a Margaret Rees and lived in Penygraig, Tonyrefail and Williamstown at various times. They had four children, including my great grandmother, Mary. Any information would be wonderful.
VALLMO9

Re: Moses Thomas , February 1854, Tonypandy area

Post by VALLMO9 »

Do you have a copy of his 1876 marriage cert to Margaret Rees? If so, what is his father's name and occupation?
I note that in the 1871 census, Moses is listed as "step-son" in the Richards household. Could he be related to Catherine Richards (nee Howells)?

Have you located Catherine Howells in the 1851 census? Looks like Catherine Howells and Morgan Richard(s) married in 1856.

This could be Catherine with the Howells family (minus father John) in 1851:

Name: Catharine Howell
Event Place: Lantrissent, Glamorganshire, Wales
Registration District: Cardiff
Marital Status: Unmarried
Birth Year (Estimated): 1836
Birthplace: Llangonoyd, Glamorganshire
Relationship to Head of Household: Daughter
Page Number: 30
Registration Number: HO107
Piece/Folio: 2456 / 336
avaline

Re: Moses Thomas , February 1854, Tonypandy area

Post by avaline »

If we are to assume he was taken in by the Richards family then its possible they didn't know the exact details of his birth etc.

The prevalence of the same surnames makes it difficult to draw any conclusions, but there were two Moses Thomas's born in the Merthyr RD within a couple of years of each other, but only one death. The assumption from the age at death is that the 1853 child died, but I can't find the 1851 child anywhere. Have you investigated either/both of these children?

THOMAS, MOSES mmn THOMAS GRO Reference: 1851 D Quarter in MERTHYR TYDFIL Volume 26 Page 466
THOMAS, MOSES mmn THOMAS GRO Reference: 1853 S Quarter in MERTHYR TYDFIL Volume 11A Page 298
THOMAS, MOSES aged 0 GRO Reference: 1853 D Quarter in MERTHYR TYDFIL Volume 11A Page 190