We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Thomas Eli Green - missing baptism

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Norfolk Nan

Thomas Eli Green - missing baptism

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi - can anyone find a baptism for Thomas Eli Green, born in Woburn 1862, died in St Pancras 1866 please? His parents were Daniel Green and Ann Norman married in Newport Pagnell in 1861. Woburn was Ann's family home, Daniel was from Milton Keynes.

The couple's five further children were all born (1864 onwards) in St Pancras but none were baptised as babies as far as I can see. Daniel's own parents stopped baptising after the first six (of 10) children so I'm wondering if they just gave up for some reason (anti-church/vicar/apathy/poverty) or if they dabbled with another branch that I've failed to uncover. I've found expected CofE baptisms before and after this gap so it's not a long-held or family-wide blip.

Thank you.
jonwarrn

Re: Thomas Eli Green - missing baptism

Post by jonwarrn »

Hi
Can't see any baptisms, sorry.
Thomas Eli Green died in Pancras, Dec qtr 1866, Pancras, age 4.
There's a burial indexed on deceased online, Thomas E A Green, 29 November 1866, Camden (what does the stand A for?)
That will be at St Pancras Cemetery in Finchley. Looking at a burial register from there in the same year (in an ancestry tree), they tell you the name of the minister, and whether buried in consecrated or unconsecrated ground.
Jon
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thanks Jon. No idea about the A. I only discovered the poor chap by fluke - he's born and died between census and I've never seen a tree mention him. I was curious about the gap between the wedding and my ancestor's arrival in 1864. If you can't find a baptism then I can be sure there isn't one to find. Thanks for the tip about the grave - nice to have a bit more to add to his record. Thanks again.
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

We did mention before that double baptism of William and Elizabeth in Camden Town in 1887. Who were aged 10+ years, possibly the only ones then still living at home. So it doesn't look as if Daniel and Ann were baptizing their children in the C of E previously. As you have said, there are several possible explanations!
Jon
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Those two were very much afterthoughts in terms of baptisms and probably prompted by the baptism of a cousin. The following generations were all duly welcomed into the CofE right through until me. We didn’t bother with my brother for some reason. :D