We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Alfred Percy Shaw

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
jkmsk

Alfred Percy Shaw

Post by jkmsk »

Hi
My husbands grandad was Alfred Shaw, and we are trying to find out some info about him. The story goes that he was a night watchman. We think this was possibly in the 1940’s so he may have been an air raid warden. He lived on Milecross Norwich.

Does anyone have any info or know where we could find out?
Many Thanks 🌻
Mick Loney

Re: Alfred Percy Shaw

Post by Mick Loney »

It is a case of working backwards from your husband, via his parents etc.
I.e work back from what you know, use freebmd or GRO to find relevant birth and marriage registrations.(you may need to buy a few certificate, but get the PDF versions which are available from GRO, they are cheaper)
I know you may not wish to publish details of living people, but without a few more clues it makes it difficult for us to to help you.
jkmsk

Post by jkmsk »

Thanks, I do have all his birth details etc. Was just wondering if anyone knew anything about air raid wardens and if there was a register etc
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

There are notes on the 1939 register, indicating who were ARP, special constables etc. Other than that, I’m afraid I can’t help you. However there will be others who may point you in the right direction :D

EDIT I forgot to mention that the 1939 register was used well after 1939. For example many womens name were amended when they got married, many years after 1939