We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Finding a grave

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Sandi-K

Finding a grave

Post by Sandi-K »

Hi, First time on here I am wondering if anyone can help me with finding a grave for " Ann Holden died 9th Dec 1846 Blackburn St, Great Bolton,
sub district Western Bolton, age 68yr & 5mth giving a birth of 1778 although I think it was possibly 1776 wife of William Holden" Have searched a lot of churches on online at Lancashire online parishes, I am on Ancestry at the moment with no luck there either. She seems to have died and vanished.
Appreciate any tips pointing me in right direction. Many thanks in advance.
Mick Loney

Re: Finding a grave

Post by Mick Loney »

From the explicit details you have supplied, I assume you have the death certificate (died 9 Dec, 58 years and 5 months! :D ). Have you considered that the informant didn’t know when she was born, and made an educated guess? There are a few Ann Holden’s buried in Bolton in 1846 of roughly the right age.
Can you explain what evidence you actually have, it does help rejecting some likely possibilities.
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

The GENUKI entry for Bolton gives access to a list of cemeteries and graveyards on https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Bolton. Note that "BOLTON-LE-MOORS, a parish in the districts of Bolton, Wigan, and Chorley, Lancashire ... centres in the Post Town of Bolton; and contains the townships of Great Bolton, Little Bolton ... "

What concerns me for your case is that GENUKI gives 4 graveyards run by Methodists (for instance), and I have not yet worked out where the registers of these non-conformist churches and chapels are. Ancestry has non-conformist registers for Manchester but I'm not clear if they have them for the rest of Lancashire. It may be that Ann was buried in one of these non-conformist graveyards - there are more than just the Methodists - locating any baptisms of her children (if any) might help prompting where to look.
Adrian Bruce
Sandi-K

Post by Sandi-K »

Hi, Yes I do have the death certificate and I thought being quite precise her on her age, the informant was her husband a William Holden, Warehouseman he is buried at St Peters Halliwell which is an offset church to St Peters on Churchgate, off Bradshawgate Bolton town centre known as the "Parish Church"
William is buried @ St Peters in Halliwell, Bolton with one of his children Robert Marsden Holden "Marsden" being the maiden name of mother Ann.
I think I found their Marr cert at Manchester Collegiate Church in 1798, although their son Robert was (C) Feb 1806 St Peters Churchgate,
The headstone at St Peters reads that a Nancy no last name in the grave with him is his wife which isn't the case and he did not re-marry, he died 26th Jan 1857 age 78 a cotton warehouseman and the informant was his servant Ann Gidlow who is on the 1851 census with him. He is living at the same address Blackburn St he was at when his wife Ann died in 1846.
I have trawled through quite a lot of the churches around Bolton on the Lancashire online parish clerk, a lot don't do Burial and quite a lot don't do the 1840's to check online, even tried Croston Church where I believe Ann Marsden came from found maybe her (C) there and a Robert Marsden
(occ aTailor) but not proven that he is her father? thought maybe she was buried with parents but no trace even tried Marsden maiden name for Ann burial stranger things happen to no avail.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Hello Sandi-K and welcome to the Forum.

Do you know if /when/where Ann was baptised. Sometimes people will be buried in the graveyard of the church where they were baptised, considering that to be their "Family church" even if they have married and moved elsewhere.
Sally
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Were you aware Nancy is a synonym for Ann! Perhaps she was known as Nancy, rather than Ann. Perhaps she was buried first, and a headstone erected when William died.
Amazinggrace

Post by Amazinggrace »

Mick Loney is quite correct.
In my family tree I have a few Nancy's. In every case they were christened Agnes.
Thats us scots confusing you again.
good luck.
Grace :D
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

My great gran was always Nancy, don't know why, but her name was Caroline Ellen.
Sandi-K

Post by Sandi-K »

Big thank you to all who have tried to help me in my grave search for Ann Holden I will take onboard all comments and hopefully find her eventually.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Sandi,
You have found her! She is in same grave as her husband, but called Nancy rather than Ann.
You said yourself her husband didn’t re-marry, so you are overlooking the obvious, that if Nancy is his wife, she must be Ann! :D