We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

IOM Marriage for London-based Couple

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Greenland

IOM Marriage for London-based Couple

Post by Greenland »

Can anyone advise why a London-based couple would have married by special licence in Christ Church, Laxey, Isle of Man in August 1867. A first marriage for both parties, there appears to be no reason for the marriage to have taken place so far from London.
Thank you for your help.
paulr1949

Re: IOM Marriage for London-based Couple

Post by paulr1949 »

Was he in the army or a clergyman? I have a 1st cousin 3 x removed who was a sergeant in the Royal Sussex regiment and serving in the Isle of Man in the 1891 census, and someone linked by a second marriage of a relative who was a vicar in the Isle of Man in 1861. Both were married on the mainland, the soldier in Chichester in 1889 and the vicar in Cornwall in 1834. He later became Dean of Peterborough Cathedral.
Paul
devonliz

Post by devonliz »

It was popular place for holidays, and the wedding in question was in August .....

The IOM newspapers are online, and I found an ancestor listed every year in the 1880s under the guesthouse where he was staying. He did meet his future wife there; she was from Yorkshire, he was from Ireland.

https://www.imuseum.im/newspapers/
Greenland

Post by Greenland »

Paul, thank you for your reply. The groom was an Oxford Street, London manufacturing jeweller and as was common then, the bride was without occupation. Their home was definitely in London and they eventually emigrated to Australia. I wonder now whether it could have been a union of mixed faiths. The vicar who married the couple in Laxey was assisted by two other vicars so it seems not to have been a small affair. Thank you for directing me to the newspaper link for IOM which I had come across earlier. It is very comprehensive and good for folks to know about. Anyway, thank you, I hope at some point to resolve this.
Greenland

Post by Greenland »

devonliz wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 14:18 It was popular place for holidays, and the wedding in question was in August .....

The IOM newspapers are online, and I found an ancestor listed every year in the 1880s under the guesthouse where he was staying. He did meet his future wife there; she was from Yorkshire, he was from Ireland.

https://www.imuseum.im/newspapers/
Apologies to you Devonliz, I think I have been a bit finger happy and thought Paul (who also replied to my post) had sent Thank you, I appreciate your help.