We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Looking for Lucy FORDHAM born c1851

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
JennyLang19

Looking for Lucy FORDHAM born c1851

Post by JennyLang19 »

Looking for Lucy FORDHAM born circa 1851.
She married William MADDER Oct 1872 in Hackney with witnesses Henry MADDER & Jane FORDHAM. She states that her father was William a Lighterman. In some certs here in NZ he is listed sometimes as a Clergyman (sounds good). They emigrated to New Zealand 1877/78. On one daughters birth cert her husband states that she was born in Swaffham, Cambridgeshire & he in Castleacre in Norfolk.n In another cert it is stated that she was born in Newmarket, Cambridgeshire. She died aged 33yrs in NZ.
We have been looking for her for a number of years. I would like to purchase her birth cert but really need to narrow her down.
Their first born was called Hannah born in West Hackney followed by Hepzibah in Hackney followed by William Henry, Henry William, Mary Louise, Florence & Lucy all born in NZ. Little Lucy died 3mths after Lucy her mother in 1885.
Any positive info would be very gratefully received.
Kind Regards Jenny & KEEP WELL & COVID FREE.
Mick Loney

Re: Looking for Lucy FORDHAM born c1851

Post by Mick Loney »

Just to clear up one point, Swaffham or Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire is located midway between Cambridge and Newmarket, about 6 miles from each. So she may have said Newmarket, because it was more widely known (even in NZ :D ). I’ll check later, when I’m on my PC, and see what I can find out.
Last edited by Mick Loney on 03 May 2021, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Can I point out that there is also a Swaffham just a couple of miles from Castle Acre in Norfolk.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

But that’s not near Newmarket :D
In fact I found her living with her grandfather in Swaffham Bulbeck in 1851 and is still there in 1861
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

That was my point - the Cambridgeshire Swaffhams have extra names. But you’ve found the missing person anyway - brilliant! :D
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Here’s my suggestions:
Lucy is illegitimate daughter of Hannah Fordham, and was christened 4 March 1851, in Exning, a suburb of Newmarket, and shown as daughter of Hannah

In 1851 she is with Hannah and her grandparents John & Ann Fordham, and they are in Swaffham Bulbeck. Lucy’s place of birth is shown as Newmarket Union! Which suggests to me she may have been born in the workhouse infirmary. Her cousin/brother John, is shown as born in swaffham bulbeck

In 1861 she is still in Swaffham Bulbeck with her grandparents, but now shown born in Newmarket. Her cousin/brother John Fordham is now shown born in Exning!

In 1871 she has move to Diss in Norfolk, and is working as a cook.

Addenda. There is no birth registered on official GRO website. Not unusual, as it was registrars duty to collect details of births. It wasn’t until 1875 when rules changed and parents were duty bound to report births!
JennyLang19

Post by JennyLang19 »

Many many thanks to Mick Loney & Norfolk Nan for their investigations & hard work which is much appreciated. I will have to see if I can find the original parish register record of Lucy s baptism. I also now need to find if the mother Hannah married after her birth. I have found a birth for John born 1847 which I will buy the cert to see what info it has & if he is in fact Lucy s brother. I will get the grandfather John death cert at the same time not that it will tell me much. In the meantime I will keep searching. Many thanks Jenny in NZ
JennyLang19

Post by JennyLang19 »

I have just received the three pdf copies of certs that I sent for - the death of the grandfather John & the death of the grandmother Ann. Also I got the birth pdf for John born 1847 & he is the son of Hannah with no father recorded so both John & Lucy were illegitimate. My task now is to find out whether Hannah married after these two were born & if she did, did she marry a William who may be the father/stepfather that Lucy was referring to. Or did Hannah die soon after.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Kind Regards Jenny in NZ
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

There is a possible marriage for Hannah Fordham in 1857 in Newmarket RD (M1857 Q4 Newmarket 3b 1289)
To a William Chapman or William Johnson, but can’t find a parish register for the marriage to confirm which is her spouse.
There are births registered for a Hannah Chapman and a Jabez Chapman born in Newmaket RD in 1860 & 1863, whose mother’s maiden name is shown as Fordham, so William Chapman is the likeliest possibility.
However, I cannot locate the Chapman family in 1861 nor 1871 to confirm
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Mick Loney wrote: 30 May 2021, 14:53 There is a possible marriage for Hannah Fordham in 1857 in Newmarket RD (M1857 Q4 Newmarket 3b 1289)
To a William Chapman or William Johnson
Doesn't look likely to be a parish church marriage.
The other bride on page 1289 is Alice Wake.
There is a birth registration in Newmarket, June 1859, Ann Elizabeth Chapman, mother's maiden surname Wake.

In Gazeley, Suffolk, in 1861
William Chapman 43 Ag Lab
Alice Chapman 25, born Soham
Ann Elizabeth Chapman 2, born Newmarket
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 9GV-S92C-J

So maybe the 1857 Newmarket marriage is Hannah Fordham and William Johnson.
If(!) it were to be the Hannah in question, and going on age and place of birth, there not is much sign after?
Other than a faint possibility, a Hannah Johnson who was admitted to the Cambridgeshire lunatic asylum at Fulbourn on 8 March 1860, and died there 10 January 1861, age 36. Buried at Fulbourn St Vigor, 14 January 1861.
She might be anyone though.
Hopefully someone will nail down the Hannah who married in 1857.