We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Edward Owen and Family 1851

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
ClareBear

Edward Owen and Family 1851

Post by ClareBear »

Hello
I have a missing ancestor, my 3 x great grandfather, who I cannot find on the 1851 census.

His name is Edward Owen, born abt 1824 in Tipton/Bilston. His wife was Mary Ann (Nee Lowe) and in 1851 they have three children:
Susannah born 1846 in Bilston; Edward born 1848/9 in Walsall and Mathew born in January 1851 in Bloxwich. (I ordered his birth certificate in the hope it would have given an address - it just says Bloxwich as place of birth, and the same under mother's name).
Based on the fact they had a son in January 1851 I have failed to find them in Bloxwich when the census was taken a few months later. (their next child a daughter was also born in Bloxwich)
Edward is described as a Furnace Man, Furnace Labourer or Labourer in Ironworks.
On the 1861 census they are living in Bloxwich on Walsall Road. I have also tried to find Edward in the electoral registers but there is nothing for him.

I would love to fill in this missing piece of the Owen story, if anyone can help that would be great.
Thanks in advance
ClareBear
Thunder

Re: Edward Owen and Family 1851

Post by Thunder »

I can't trace him on the 1851 Census, to be on the electoral roll at this time I think he would need to own property worth at least £10 a year, which meant most men didn't qualify.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Me neither, the family is missing, hiding or mistranscribed. It's a mystery... :D
ClareBear

Post by ClareBear »

Hello
Thanks everyone for your help so far. I am still on the hunt for this family, and I need a little more help please.

Can anyone tell me the place of residence on this marriage certificate? It's from 1845 and the marriage took place at St Peter's Collegiate Church in Wolverhampton, but I am struggling to read the address.

As always any help would great.

Thank you
ClareBear
Attachments
Edward Owen marriage 1845 (2).jpg
Edward Owen marriage 1845 (2).jpg (268.98 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

I think it is Wolverhampton. Looks the same as the church address, just fainter.
Sally
paulr1949

Post by paulr1949 »

Yes, I agree. No road, unfortunately!
Paul
ClareBear

Post by ClareBear »

Thanks everyone for having a look and replying.
It's much appreciated.

ClareBear