We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

1871 census Tiverton Workhouse

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
meekhcs

1871 census Tiverton Workhouse

Post by meekhcs »

This is driving me potty.
I am trying to access the Workhouse records in the 1871 census. FMP have changed their address search recently and I cannot make it work for me.
Any ideas anyone please?
Sally
Mick Loney

Re: 1871 census Tiverton Workhouse

Post by Mick Loney »

Address search Is still there, but has moved!
Go to 1871 census, click Advanced search, and there is a link to click for searching addresses. You’ll need to look carefully, as it is easily overlooked.
From what I’ve read, Tiverton Workhouse was in Water Lane, Tiverton according to Peter Higginbotham’s Workhouse encylopedia.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Thanks Mick

I don't see that as an improvement!!

I used the usual search button, clicked on census records , typed in 1871 census in record set, Tiverton Devon as the place and then union workhouse in optional keywords. Is that how you found it?

I couldn't get anywhere with the new census address search button

Sally
Sally
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

I didn’t find the workhouse, just the street. I believe about a dozen household came up in the results, but it didn’t specifically mention the workhouse!

I was led to believe that workhouses aren’t necessarily listed as such, but as normal street addresses. ( so as not to embarrass the inmates? :D )
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Using the following method

"Click on search at top of homepage, select census land and surveys button, type in Tiverton Devon in the where box and move cursor to exact. select 1871 census in record set and type in union workhouse it the optional keywords at the bottom and press search"

it brings up all the people who were in the workhouse.

A bit long winded.

Yesterday I was searching for Belmont Rd as that was the adress that came up when I put Tiverton Workhouse in the search engine!

You live and learn
Sally
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

If it wasn’t Belmont Road, what was it? Water Lane by any chance :D
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Course it was! ;)
Sally