We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Racehorse Trainers

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Hardwork

Racehorse Trainers

Post by Hardwork »

Does anyone on here know or have ever heard of an historical database for racehorse trainers? I can find plenty of information on current ones but am finding information on early 20th century ones hard to come by.
phsvm

Re: Racehorse Trainers

Post by phsvm »

Do you have a specific person you're trying to find or are you looking at the industry in general? If you give more details of what you're actually after that may help.

I was doing some research on a trainer from the 1920s/30s and found most of what I wanted in press reports.

Steeplechase trainers tend to be either in Yorkshire or the Berkshire Downs so local village histories are useful as well.

Other than that the Jockey Club may be another possibility.
Hardwork

Post by Hardwork »

phsvm - Thanks for your reply. I looked at the Jockey Club website but they didn't seem to show much regarding history. My query concerned about if anyone knew of a database that had already been started because if not I was considering starting one that covered earlier years than the 1920s. Seems to me that such research needs a central point. There is probably quite a bit of scope for such databases for these sorts of professions that are not accommodated by the more advanced professions such as law, clergy, medicine etc.
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

You could look at the Censuses, I looked at the area of Newmarket and found a trainer and his staff. They should also be listed in the Kelly's Directories, see ancestry.
woodchal

Post by woodchal »

I believe there was at least one “pals” troop from the horse racing fraternity in WW1