We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Ancestry Problem

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Colin W

Ancestry Problem

Post by Colin W »

For some reason on my ancestry tree it only shows my mums family but not my dads family.

How can I fix this? Thank you.
meekhcs

Re: Ancestry Problem

Post by meekhcs »

Have you unlinked your Dad's Family by mistake?
Sally
Colin W

Post by Colin W »

I have not but my sister may have done by accident.

If so, how can we get it back?
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

If it is the case that the people are in your Tree, but each person is not marked as your Father, Grandfather etc then go to your page, edit relationship, and link your Father as your biological Father, and everything should return to normal.

If on the other hand your dad's side has literally disappeared and he and the rest of your male line are no longer in your Tree then I am stumped and would suggest you contact Ancestry. It may be a technical glitch. As far as I am aware the only way to delete them from your Tree would have been to remove each one manually!
Sally
Colin W

Post by Colin W »

Thank you for your reply.

I think I will contact ancestry.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

It will be interesting ti hear what they have to say. I hope it is not totally lost.
Sally
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Whatever the outcome, you should always keep a backup of your data locally. However good these sites are, mistakes can happen, so protect yourself against this happening to you, by keeping a local backup. In the event of trouble, you can always upload the data again.

Personally, I’ve always kept my main research data on my PC where it is safe, and under my control. I only use Ancestry etc as a backup.
Colin W

Post by Colin W »

It has been 7 days now I emailed Ancestry, still not had a reply.

NOT my Family Tree but this is what the problem I have is........

Normal Tree showing J F Kennedy's Mum and Dad's family's.
1.JPG
1.JPG (75.48 KiB) Viewed 2209 times
This is how my tree looks like......it shows just my Dad's family and NOT my Mum's
1 - Copy.JPG
1 - Copy.JPG (33.15 KiB) Viewed 2209 times
Why is it like this?
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

Surely that's showing only the father's line because it's been moved within the window to hide the mother's ancestry?

One clue is that the Home Person isn't there. I can click in the window drag the tree around inside the window to show the Home Person and the other parts of the tree. Alternatively, it seems to work if I go to Tree Search and click Home Person. On mine, that puts me at the left with my parents and their ancestors to the right.

You may need to use the + or - icons at the left to zoom in or out to see more (or less).

Now you're going to tell me that you clicked and moved to illustrate the problem....? :(
Adrian Bruce