We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Research in Guyana, South America

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Carol47

Research in Guyana, South America

Post by Carol47 »

Hi, has anyone had any success in researching in Guyana. I have tried several times to email the General Registry and very churches also the British consulate for Guyana. Nobody replies, it’s as if all emails to this country disappear down a black hole. I am trying to obtain a birth certificate for Thomas McKenzie born August 1866 in Demerara, Father Christmas McKenzie. Was trying to query if the birth registration records started before that date. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Mick Loney

Re: Research in Guyana, South America

Post by Mick Loney »

You could try FamilySearch. They may have films/transcriptions. Search their Catalogue for Demerara or guyana, you never know your luck
Carol47

Post by Carol47 »

Thanks for suggestion, however I have tried that site and there is very limited information
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Carol47 wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 13:32 Was trying to query if the birth registration records started before that date.
According to FS, Government registration of [Guyana] vital events began as early as 1869. Records are available from the years listed below. So you may struggle to locate an 1866 birth record for your chap.

Births: 1869
Marriages: 1903
Deaths: 1869

This link may provide helpful information to continue your search: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~nyggbs/Sources.htm

Also, FMP have a handful of Passenger records for people named McKenzie traveling to Demerara, Guyana during the 1890s. Check FMP's Passenger Lists Leaving UK 1890-1960 set for the records. Could they have been connected to Guyana's sugar plantations?
Carol47

Post by Carol47 »

Thanks will check this out
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

I see Thomas (retired ships cook) in the 1939 Register, living in Liverpool.

Just in case you don't already have it, he's also in the 1901 census:

Name: Thomas McKenzie
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1868
Relation to Head: Cook
Birth Place: West Indies, Demerara
Civil Parish: Vessels
Town: Tyne Dock South Shields St Mary
County/Island: Durham
Registration District: South Shields
ED, institution, or vessel: [Barque] Dunearn
Piece: 4737
Folio: 187
Household Schedule Number: 1
Carol47

Post by Carol47 »

Thank you, I had found this info earlier, it confirmed where I believed he was born.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

A former co-worker of mine was from Demerara. For his annual holidays, he'd travel round the world meeting his half-siblings. I asked him why he had so many half-siblings. He replied: "My father was in the Merchant Navy". ;) Sadly, my co-worker passed away about 15 years ago. Which is a shame, partly because he would've been a great resource for Guyana family research. In fact, academic research was his occupation.
Last edited by VALLMO9 on 25 Jul 2021, 20:09, edited 2 times in total.
Carol47

Post by Carol47 »

Funnily enough finding someone from Guyana with family still there was one of the thoughts I had about getting some research done. Shame your friend is no longer around.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Interestingly, his father (also from Demerara) visited Liverpool several times during the 1920s and 1930s. There are various Passenger and Crew records for him on Ancestry. Let's put it this way: I can now understand how my co-worker had quite a few half-siblings round the globe. :lol: