We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Jesse Charles Quarterman

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
jonwarrn

Re: Jesse Charles Quarterman

Post by jonwarrn »

Norfolk Nan wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 07:26 a third son Arthur Cyril is born 1909 in Holborn, providing a link to the man who died that year.
Arthur C Quarterman
born 24 March 1909
Father Jesse C deceased
Mother 49 Donegal St

From the Holborn birth/vaccination records (but not the registers themselves!)
I think when you add that to what I posted last night, there is no doubt that the Jesse Charles Quarterman who is being sought in the 1901 census is the man who died 2 May 1909 and is buried at Hendon Cemetery.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I think so too :D perhaps the missing details will continue to be a mystery but I feel confident we have the basics of Jesse’s life. Did he leave Harriet or did she leave him? Where is he in 1901? What happened to Arthur as an infant? Sad story but not uncommon.
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

He died in Enfield in 1975, his surname is indexed under three different spellings!
Dec 1975 Enfield 12 647
Quartermain, Arthyr Cyril
Quartermaine, Arthyr Cyril
Quarterman, Arthyr Cyril

Date of birth 24 March 1909
So hopefully you will find him in 1939, etc., if you haven't already. Did he marry?

In 1931 he is with his brother Charles Henry Joseph at 5 Victoria Crescent in South Tottenham.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I found him later too so I knew the two were reunited. Oddly, they lived very close to where I went to school although they aren’t my family. I might have passed either of them in the street! I think he married but not Charles but I might be wrong.

I was interested in Jesse because he had lost four nephews during WW1 and wondered how he and his family had fared. He was the youngest of that generation and his life was very different to his siblings. I wonder where it all went wrong?

Amended - sorry, I’ve just read the post from Jon about Grace and the burials - I didn’t know about her or where they were buried so thank you for that. Makes it even sadder…