We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Which Robert Alexander is which?

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Genebug93

Which Robert Alexander is which?

Post by Genebug93 »

Hello everyone, I am hoping more eyes can help point me in the correct direction. I have a 5x GGF by the name of Robert Alexander. His name is confirmed but it’s his DOB and therefore his parents and wife that are confusing me. The children only have Robert Alexander on the birth/baptism records on Scotland’s People.
Robert1 DOB is 4 April 1744 Baptism 12 April 1744 in East Kilbride, Lanark, Scotland. Father: Andrew. Wife: Jean Aiken (I have found a marriage for a Robert and Jean on Scotland’s People. Most ancestry trees have this Robert as “my” Robert married to Jean on 26 June 1764 in Carmunnock, Lanark, Scotland, not far from East Kilbride)
Robert2 DOB is 15 March 1742 Baptism 23 March 1742 in East Kilbride, Lanark, Scotland. Father: David. (I have also found a marriage for a Robert and Mary Cummin on Scotland’s People. There are no Ancestry trees with these two. Married on 27 April 1768 in Carmunnock, Lanark, Scotland)
To complicate things my 4 x GGM Betty (Robert’s daughter) was born 1765 in Carmunnock (this is known). So it seems Jean should be her mother going by marriage date, however which Robert is her father? Also is the other marriage for the Robert2 or a second marriage for Robert1 as there is gap of 3 years between the 2nd and 3rd children. I also can’t find a death for Jean.
Do the children belong to one or both Roberts?
My head hurts! Thank you all in advance.
meekhcs

Re: Which Robert Alexander is which?

Post by meekhcs »

Have you been able to find wills for any of the people involved? Sometimes these can help to untangle Families.
Another helpful point is to look at witnesses at marriages. These can also help.
Have you been able to look at any of the original records to confirm the details that have been transcribed are correct?
Sally
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Glancing at the various SP parish records for Robert Alexander in Carmunnock, it's very possible that Mary Cummin was his second wife. Looks like they had 10 children together from 1769-1789. In fact, two parish birth records state that children Janet (b1786) and Alexander (b1789) are the 9th and 10th children of Robert and Mary Cummin.

Robert had two daughters with first wife Jean Aiken (born 1744 in Carmunnock). No idea what happened to Jean.

First born Bethiah's (Betty?) birth record indicates she was born at Dripps in 1765. Robert's last born was Alexander Alexander, who was born at Hill of Dripps in 1789. NOTE: Dripps mainly consisted of farmers, farming servants, and millers.

Circa 1737, there is a James Alexander residing at Hill of Dripps. (Robert's first son was named James, born in 1771. He may have died, as there is another James born in 1775). Applying Scottish naming patterns, it's likely that "James" is the name of Robert's father. I don't see any of Robert's sons named David or Andrew.

Looking on SP, there is a 1635 Will for a Robert Alexander from the "Hill of Dripps, parish of Cathcart". Later there is a 1667 Will for an "Issobell Alexander, spouse to James Reid, in Hill of Drips, parish of Cathkart". Like Carmunnock, Cathcart is also very near to East Kilbride.

So obviously an Alexander presence at Hills of Dripps from c1635 onwards. Whether they are relations to your Robert needs further investigating.
As such, also check the parish of Cathcart when searching for Robert's birth. In case he was born at Hill of Dripps, as well.
Last edited by VALLMO9 on 20 Aug 2021, 19:33, edited 2 times in total.
Genebug93

Post by Genebug93 »

meekhcs wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 11:41 Have you been able to find wills for any of the people involved? Sometimes these can help to untangle Families.
Another helpful point is to look at witnesses at marriages. These can also help.
Have you been able to look at any of the original records to confirm the details that have been transcribed are correct?
Thank you meekhcs. As yet I haven’t been able to find a will. Alas I haven’t seen original documents either as I haven’t found any on line. I live in Australia. I will keep looking though. Cheers.
Genebug93

Post by Genebug93 »

Thank you so much Vallm09.

This is very useful information. I haven’t seen the wills for Robert and Issobell so I shall have another look. I was also unaware of Cathcart.

I’m a bit confused by your reference to Armstrong in your last couple of sentences. Was that just a typo/auto correct error?

Appreciate all you help. Thanks again.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Genebug93 wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 14:57 I’m a bit confused by your reference to Armstrong in your last couple of sentences. Was that just a typo/auto correct error?
Sorry, it should be Alexander (not Armstrong). I've corrected the details in my previous contribution above. I've also corrected the year relating to James Alexander. It should read c1737 (not 1732). His name appears as a "Subscriber - James Alexander of Hill of Dripps" in an 18th century book about "Christian life" published in 1737. No other details about him are given.

NOTE 1: One of the children from Robert's marriage to Mary can be located under "Allexander" on SP. I've forgotten the name of said daughter, though.

NOTE 2: "The parish of Cathcart formerly included the barony of Dripps, which is now in the county of Lanark. The lands of the barony of Dripps were united quoad sacra to the parish of Carmunnock in 1725" (from a book about the history of Renfrew by W M Metcalfe published in 1905). This was due to the greater proximity of Dripps to the parish church of Carmunnock, and the convenience of its inhabitants in the enjoyment of church privileges.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Been watching too much ‘Pointless’ with Alexander Armstrong :lol: :lol:
Genebug93

Post by Genebug93 »

VALLMO9 wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 19:02
Genebug93 wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 14:57 I’m a bit confused by your reference to Armstrong in your last couple of sentences. Was that just a typo/auto correct error?
Sorry, it should be Alexander (not Armstrong). I've corrected the details in my previous contribution above. I've also corrected the year relating to James Alexander. It should read c1737 (not 1732). His name appears as a "Subscriber - James Alexander of Hill of Dripps" in an 18th century book about "Christian life" published in 1737. No other details about him are given.

NOTE 1: One of the children from Robert's marriage to Mary can be located under "Allexander" on SP. I've forgotten the name of said daughter, though.

NOTE 2: "The parish of Cathcart formerly included the barony of Dripps, which is now in the county of Lanark. The lands of the barony of Dripps were united quoad sacra to the parish of Carmunnock in 1725" (from a book about the history of Renfrew by W M Metcalfe published in 1905). This was due to the greater proximity of Dripps to the parish church of Carmunnock, and the convenience of its inhabitants in the enjoyment of church privileges.
This is fabulous! Thank you so much. I know what I’ll be doing today - getting out my hammer and hopefully breaking down a brick wall.
Stay safe everyone. :)