We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Joseph Arthur BELLENGER

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Greaves

Joseph Arthur BELLENGER

Post by Greaves »

Joseph Arthur BELLENGER/BALLENGER/BELLINGER was born on 08 Feb 1865 in South Cerny, Gloucestershire. He was baptised on 07 May 1865 at Siddington, Gloucestershire. His parents were Joseph BELLENGER (1827-1891) and Emily Sarah JEWELL/JOEL (1834-1901).

In 1871, he was living in Siddington with his parents and siblings. In the census return, he was recorded as Arthur BELLENGER (5), b South Cerny.

His parents then split, with Emily taking the younger children to London. In the 1881 census, he was living with his mother in Wandsworth. She was going under the name Emily PARSONS and living as the wife of James PARSONS, Arthur was recorded as Arthur PARSONS (15), who was single and a labourer.

He then disappears from the records. I suppose military service is a possibility, since that is the route several of his siblings took.

The family dropped the Bellenger name, adopting the new name of BERRY. I don't know if Arthur followed some of his siblings in adopting the BERRY name. For one of two generations, some used BELLENGER/BALLENGER/BELLINGER, others BERRY. He could, of course, continued to use PARSONS.

In any case, Joseph or Arthur with the surname of BELLENGER/BALLENGER/BELLINGER/BERRY or PARSONS disappears. I would love to find out what happened to him.