We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

India/Burma records

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Sheila

India/Burma records

Post by Sheila »

I have found a record on FMP in the British India Office Deaths and Burials for a Hubert Ball Fraser. He died in Yenangyaung, which was then Burma, in 1937 aged 64.I can not find any birth record for Hubert and believe the record may actually be for Herbert Ball Fraser who was born in London in 1875. I am trying to find any further information on the death in order to confirm if it is Hubert or Herbert.I have looked on Ancestry, FMP and Family Search and the Families in British India Society website. I have also checked the wills and probate records to no avail. Is there anywhere else I could search?
VALLMO9

Re: India/Burma records

Post by VALLMO9 »

Does the FMP record image provide any details re HBF? For example occupation or residence? Was he in the military? Did he work for Burma Railway, or the Burma Oil Company?

Also, have you checked for HBF in Ancestry's UK, Foreign and Overseas Registers of British Subjects, 1628-1969 collection?

Try searching for a newspaper obit for him in 1937, using a combination of his names + Burma.
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

The burial record image on FMP gives Hubert's trade/profession as 'One time B.O.C Fireman'. I didn't know what the initials stand for but having read your suggestions it is probably Burma Oil Company, thank you. The return of burials is for Yenangyaung and outstations with no other indication of residence and no other clues. I have checked Ancestry's UK, Foreign and Overseas Registers of British Subjects - nothing there. Also searched newspapers using names and initials. I will persue the Burma Oil Company connection, that may lead to something. Thank you again.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

One other suggestion: Contact the folks at the Anglo-Burmese Library. They might be able to provide assistance. They also have access to some Burmese newspapers featuring BMD notices. They also have info re the BOC in Burma. https://www.angloburmeselibrary.com/
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

I've had a quick look at the Anglo-Burmese Library and will certainly get in touch with them. Many thanks for the link.
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

Thank you. I have contacted the Anglo-Burmese Library. Hoping they can help with some further information.