We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

A long shot

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Sucher

A long shot

Post by Sucher »

I have a short hand written note made during a conversation with my late mother. It concerns a Margaret Duncan/Duncannon (known as Peg), the daughter of George Duncan and Elizabeth Hooper. Margaret had a daughter Nancy who in turn had a son named Graham, the note mentions Burnt Oak which is in North London. Margaret was likely born in the 1850's/60's in London. I have no other physical evidence or information.

My research skills have failed me, any advice would be very welcome. Thank you

Sucher
Norfolk Nan

Re: A long shot

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi - can I check that I have the right George and Elizabeth please? I have:

St Mary's church, Bryanston Square, Westminster on 3rd March 1854
George Duncan, aged 24, soldier at Portman Barracks, son of Charles (a confectioner) marrying
Elizabeth Hooper, aged 24, daughter of John Hooper, a carpenter

In 1861 George is shown as a private in the 1st Batt Scots Fusilier Guards, still in Portman Barracks, aged 32 and born in Thurso, Caithness, Scotland.

Are these your Margaret's parents?
avaline

Post by avaline »

The only Duncan/Duncannon births I can see around the right time with the mmn Hooper lead back to a family in Hammersmith in 1871 - RG10/65/10/14

Elizabeth Duncan 40 widow born Devon
Elizabeth 15 daur b London
Clara 13 b London
Alice 11 b London
Sarah 8 b Canada
Louisa 6 b London
Minnie 4 b London
George W 1 b London

Unfortunately there's no sign of a Margaret!

Elizabeth married William Nutland in 1877 naming her father as George Duncan, Confectioner
Clara married George Fielding Tew in 1888 naming her father as George Duncan deceased Colour Sergeant 1st Grenadier Guards
Louisa married Tom Taylor Nash in 1891, Hampshire (not online)
Minnie married Ernest William King in 1891 naming her father as George William Duncan, Sergeant, Deceased.
Alice married Albert Overall in 1892 naming her father as George Duncan, Superintendant of Buildings

I can't find the family in 1861, but Alice & Clara's baptisms both say that George was in the Grenadier Guards, and there is a record for George Duncan of that regiment dying 19 Dec 1870. What I assume to be his death registration dives his YoB as c1828 . Buried 22 Dec 1870 at London & Tower Hamlets Cemetery.
avaline

Post by avaline »

Just to add that George Duncan of the Grenadier Guards was born c1828 in Scarborough, Yorkshire and enlisted 15 May 1847.
In 1851 he is at the Windsor Infantry Barracks

Edited to add the only Charles Duncannon, Confectioner I can find in the census is in York, born c1803 Pickering. He married Elizabeth Driffield in 1825 and they baptised a son, GEORGE, the following year, in York. In 1840 Elizabeth died in a house fire, and in 1844 Charles married Elizabeth Dudley.

I can't find Charles or George in 1841.

The only other Duncan/Duncan*n's I can find born Scarborough around the right time are to parents Robert & Ann. The merchant navy records show their son George Lacy Duncanson born 1823 Scarborough as just under 5ft 6ins in 1845, whereas George of the Grenadier Guards was 6ft when he was discharged in 1868, so it seems unlikely that its the same man.
Sucher

Post by Sucher »

Hi Norfolk Nan

Yes, George Duncan and Elizabeth Hooper are Margaret’s parents. However, George enrolled in the Grenadier Guards rather than the Scots Fusiliers and do not think the fellow born in Thurso is the same man.

Hi Aveline

Thank you for your replies. I have all the information contained in your first post, it is all substantiated by records and certificates, as you say no sign of a Margaret anywhere. George served in the 1st battalion of the Grenadiers and according to my information, that part of the regiment was in Dublin in the period covered by the 1861 census.

Again, all the information in your second post is spot on except although he gives his place of birth as Scarborough when he enlisted (per the Guards archivist’s records) and in 1851, there is evidence that he was born 7 June 1826 in York and baptised two days later. This is a mystery and my conclusion at the moment is that he may have grown up in Scarborough and didn’t know exactly where he was born. It’s conclusive that Charles Duncannon, the confectioner is the father of George who baptised and registered his first two children under the name Duncannon, the rest as Duncan. I think there may be a connection between the Duncannons and Duncansons of Scarborough and that’s another can of worms. When Charles Duncannon re-married after his first wife died in the fire, he gives his father’s name and occupation as John Duncannon, soldier. That’s all the information I have about John, another brick wall.

There is no record of Margaret Duncan other than my note. It could be that my mother was mistaken but her memory was formidable. Yours and Norfolk Nan’s efforts much appreciated.

Sucher
Sucher

Post by Sucher »

There is a record showing the birth of a Margaret Duncan - Sept Qtr 1856 Vol1a Page 281 - District St Martin-in-the Fields. I

This looks promising as George Duncan and Elizabeth Hooper baptised two daughters in the church on Trafalgar Square. The date is just feasible given the dates of birth of Elizabeth (Jun qtr 1855) and Clara (Dec qtr 1958. Looks like a copy of the birth certificate required but then where? Edit: Birth Certificate now on order.

Sucher
avaline

Post by avaline »

Sucher wrote: 09 Dec 2021, 17:10 There is a record showing the birth of a Margaret Duncan - Sept Qtr 1856 Vol1a Page 281 - District St Martin-in-the Fields. I

This looks promising as George Duncan and Elizabeth Hooper baptised two daughters in the church on Trafalgar Square. The date is just feasible given the dates of birth of Elizabeth (Jun qtr 1855) and Clara (Dec qtr 1958. Looks like a copy of the birth certificate required but then where? Edit: Birth Certificate now on order.
According to the GRO her mother's maiden name was COWPER:
DUNCAN, MARGARET mmn COWPER GRO Reference: 1856 S Quarter in SAINT MARTIN IN THE FIELDS Volume 01A Page 281

Looking for other births in the same area/timeframe with that mmn brings up these:
DUNCAN, ROBINA mmn COWPER GRO Reference: 1853 S Quarter in SAINT MARTIN IN THE FIELDS Volume 01A Page 282
DUNCAN, JAMES HUME mmn COWPER GRO Reference: 1855 M Quarter in ST MARTIN IN THE FIELDS Volume 01A Page 303

The baptisms for all three children show the parents as Robert (a baker) & Isabella Duncan of Northumberland Street.

In 1871 Isabella Duncan & son James are in Pittenweem, Fife, Scotland with Isabella's aunt Janet Cowper and her cousin Margaret Cowper.

ADDED: In 1881 James H Duncan and his sister Margaret are both at Charles Street, Pittenweem
Sucher

Post by Sucher »

Thank you availine. So we have drawn a blank there, I received the birth certificate by the way for Margaret Duncan. Back to the drawing board.

Regards

Sucher