We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Birth record brick wall

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
VALLMO9

Re: Birth record brick wall

Post by VALLMO9 »

Looks like there was also a son named Eric Walter Walsh (1914-1915). Mother's name Amy. Baptism and death records on Ancestry.
ManonChirgwin

Post by ManonChirgwin »

Oh wow, thank you all so much for so many replies and so much information. Sorry I haven't replied sooner and I'm also orry this is going to be a long reply now :lol:

Adrian - with the Professor of music it need to look at directories etc to see if he's advertised anywhere. I know at the time it didn't really mean an education in the subject but at the same time thought people would sometimes just call themselves professor if they'd been at it a long time!

Templ4r - I've added her to my list of things to look at

VALLMO9 - All i had worked at out the moment was Royal Artillery and like you say the charge sheet says soldier so that gave me the idea but hadn't looked into it more than the 'oh he was a soldier'

avaline - where did you find the newspaper report? I haven't come across it but it would be great to read it. I'm hopeless at finding newspapers outside of wales :lol: This is also where it gets a little complicated! His first marriage was 1905 to Hannah Lees (all above board and she died in 1912 - mother to John James 1906, Henry 1908 and William 1909) then as you say he married in 1914 and 1916 (he actually told the truth in 1914 that he was a widow). Amy Matilda is the name of his wife in 1914 (and she is mother to Walter Eric 1914) maybe this is a mistake on the attestation paper unless they named a daughter after her but it wasn't something I had found at all but will look into just incase. Just looking at my computer now i think i have the attestation paper. Amy Matilda is his wife but I'm not sure why they put 16 she was born in 1884 (as far as i know. formerly Bowditch).

Also thank you so much for all the name and GRO references, I'll be looking into them this week!

VALLMO9 - That DOB is amazing thank you! His birth really is a mystery but maybe having the DOB will start to crumble the wall

Thank you all so much for your help
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Might be worth ordering his service file from the MOD although you probably won't receive it for months. It depends how much information you are after, particularly as regards his full military service.
ManonChirgwin

Post by ManonChirgwin »

Oh I’ll definitely be ordering his military record in the end. Even if it has no answers to this brick wall it’ll be interesting
avaline

Post by avaline »

The newspaper report was in the South Eastern Gazette of 27 June 1916.

I've also just spotted another report in the Faversham Times and Mercury and North-East Kent Journal of 27 May 1916 that actually gives a lot more detail, although Amy is wrongly called Ada Matilda. I'll let you find & read it, but as a taster it tells you who he worked for when he married Amy, and that one time after Amy went back to him they went to live with an aunt of his in Liverpool - do you know who this might be? While they were there her child died (Eric Walter Walsh), so I wonder if the aunt could be traced through the address? It also details how he met Lily Rose

PS I've also just realised I was half asleep when I said his attestation claimed he had a child called Amy Matilda - the name, date & place were in answer to the question about his marriage, and the next two lines were the children. Doh!
ManonChirgwin

Post by ManonChirgwin »

O that’s amazing! I’m going to look for that straight away. I love trying to find the stories behind everything too, not just when things happened but why and how.

I don’t have any aunts down for John Herbert. My grandmother said John James might have gone to his aunt (he was her father) but the new census might shed light on that as we weren’t sure if he’d call Amy an aunt

And don’t worry the amount of mistakes I’ve made in the family trees :lol:
ManonChirgwin

Post by ManonChirgwin »

I’ve just remembered too that I’ve got Eric’s death certificate so I’ve got the address where he died. Before you mentioned the newspaper report it didn’t mean much beyond that fact that might have been where they were living but I’ll look into it more now
avaline

Post by avaline »

avaline wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 23:39 one time after Amy went back to him they went to live with an aunt of his in Liverpool - do you know who this might be? While they were there her child died (Eric Walter Walsh), so I wonder if the aunt could be traced through the address?
Could possibly be onto something here... in 1911 there is a family named THOMAS living there, and the wife was born in 'Gobowen, Shropshire'

In 1911 his wife is Annie & they've been married 19 years with just one child, but in 1901 she's Alice A born Liverpool??? I can't readily see a marriage for them though - typical!

This is the child:
THOMAS, ALBERT SIDNEY mmn WILLIAMS GRO Reference: 1893 M Quarter in LIVERPOOL Volume 08B Page 110

His baptism names his parents as Albert & Annie Thomas.

ADDED: Sorry, Im having some real problems posting - it swirls & then does nothing so I've missed something off when I tried again - the burial address was 39 Montague Street, West Derby - home to the Thomas family in 1911
ManonChirgwin

Post by ManonChirgwin »

I’ll have a look at them. Hopefully the 1921 census will help with it all too (unlikely with John Herbert but I live in hope :lol: )

I was just going to say ‘oh strange that’s a different address than I’ve got’ but I’ve stupidly look at Eric’s birth certificate :lol: he’s the son I don’t have a date of death for. I swear my brain has a swirling with nothing happening!

Although I’m glad you said you’re having problems with the sight I thought it was just my internet. I’m off to subscribe to the British newspapers to get the article :lol:
phsvm

Post by phsvm »

If you subscribe to Find My Past you should have access to newspapers without having to fork out for another subscription.