We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Isle of Wight coastguards

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
KayFarndon

Isle of Wight coastguards

Post by KayFarndon »

Hello everyone. I am trying to find information and perhaps photos of the coast guard fraternity along the south coast and the Isle of Wight. My maternal grandfather Thomas Davies, served with the coastguards after retiring from the Royal Navy and had various postings. Prior to being stationed in Mablethorpe around 1922 he was at Needs Ore, Beaulieu, where my late Mother was born in 1906 and at some point they went to Freshwater on the I of W. They were also at Langton. You will all know what I mean when I say that I wish I had asked more questions when my Mother was alive and I have only a very sparse collection of her memories. I did write to an I of W newspaper a long time ago asking if anyone had any memories of the Davies family, but had no response.
So I wish everyone on the forum a Happy New Year and good researching results.
meekhcs

Re: Isle of Wight coastguards

Post by meekhcs »

Hi Kay, and Happy New Year to you

TNA have research guides for Coastguards and their Families. They also hold some coast guard records. This is off the top of my head so I am not sure what dates they cover.

Have you tried contacting the coastguard stations themselves if they still exist? They may be able to point you in the right direction.
Sally
KayFarndon

Post by KayFarndon »

Thanks for the suggestion meekhcs, anything always appreciated.
KayFarndon

Post by KayFarndon »

I would also like to thank the person who sent me a private message. The information I do have thank you and it is 'my' man and his sons as you mention. Thank you so much for getting in touch.