We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Thomas Ward marriage

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
VALLMO9

Re: Thomas Ward marriage

Post by VALLMO9 »

windowframe wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 10:08 2. Thomas Ward was born in Galway, Ireland and not Birmingham, I have proof of that.
Can I just ask what proof you have that confirms TW was born in Galway? It will help with any further research undertaken.
Also, you haven't confirmed yet what TW's occupation was - as per the 1940 and 1942 birth certs. That info will help, as well.

Sounds like you're working with mainly verbal family history re Thomas Ward. Going forwards, if you have any confirmed facts about him, as per certs and documents, it would help take research further if you include them.
Last edited by VALLMO9 on 01 Jun 2022, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
windowframe

Post by windowframe »

I found a birth entry and baptism entry on Ancestry.
occupation on 1 birth cert he was a lorry driver on the other birth cert.he was a carrier.
Yes, I have been working from verbal family history.
You may be right, I need to step back and re-do what I have already done and start again.
All I was asking for was a marriage between Thomas Ward and Mary Doyle or Mary Byrne.
Have given all the info that I have from past and present postings.
Thank you so much for your help and time, greatly appreciated.
To VALLMO9
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Verbal history is very often all we have to go on but it can confuse things as I know very well. But then again the ‘facts’ on certs and other official records aren’t always accurate either. Family history isn’t a precise science, more a game of odds I think :D
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Suggestion: research the Ranelagh (Dublin 6) address given on the 1940 and 1942 birth certificates. It may provide clues relating to Thomas Ward and/or Mary Doyle.

Example: Search that Ranelagh address in the Dublin City Electoral Lists for 1937-19­64 - if you can locate them online. The lists may indicate other people (hopefully relatives of TW or MD) living at the address appearing on both birth certificates (c1940).

Note: Due to instructions by the Data Protection Commission (DPC), the Dublin City Electoral Lists for 1937-19­64 have been taken offline from the free to access Dublin City Libraries & Archives Heritage Databases site.
From their website -- For more information, e-mail: cityarchives@dublincity.ie

Here's the original link which provided background on the Electoral Lists project: https://databases.dublincity.ie/electoral/about.php
Last edited by VALLMO9 on 01 Jun 2022, 18:07, edited 2 times in total.
windowframe

Post by windowframe »

Further to Vallmo9 suggestion to check out the address that is on the children's birth cert.
I sent an email to cityarchives@dublincity.ie asking them to check the Dublin City Electoral
Lists for 1937-1964, they replyed with the following:
"Under the current Covid restrictions, all staff are working remotely, we do not have access to
the lists. Once back in the office, we can look into this for you, we do have quite a backlog
of queries, so it might take some time for us to clear them all."
I also did some checking for a marriage with the same address but to no avail, maybe I am
not searching in the right places when it comes to finding an address, can I ask what do
others do and where do you search for an address.
I am coming to a decision that Thomas Ward was a marine, just a hunch.
windowframe

Post by windowframe »

Further to my previous enteries on this forum, and as suggested by Valmo9 to check out the address that is on the children's birth certificates,
with the city archives Dublin, I did this last week as was not able to do it before because of the covid.
They came back with the following answer:
Please note that the 1937-1964 Electoral Rolls are currently unavailable for research because of technical issues, but are usually available for
onsite search in the reading room, please note that the Electoral Rolls after 1964 are closed to the public under GDPR.
Recently some of the technical issues regarding the 1937-1964 Electoral Rolls database have been resolved. Please note we can only search
the data for the year 1939-40 at the moment. Apologies for the inconvenience.
They then sent me a sheet with 1939-40 list of surnames living at 10 Chelmsford Ave,Ranelagh,Dublin as follows:
Ward no one by that name / Byrne 4 by this name/ Doyle 2 by this name.
Would there be a kind person who can read my previous entries and help, I have searched over the last 2 years for Thomas Ward to be connected
to Mary Byrne, but on the children's birth certificates it shows Thomas Ward and Mary Doyle, how can I procede to connect the dtwo.
Heresay, said that Thomas Ward went to America and was a lot older than Mary and he was born in Galway, I did find a Thomas that fitted the
critera and followed up to as best current time, it's Mary Byrne I need to establish the connection.
Sorry for the long winded entry, but I have now come to a stop, and really was hoping you could help. Thank you for your patience in reading this.
Maybe someone can help verfify who was living at 10 Chelmsford Ave, Ranelagh with their first names, not just their surnames.