We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Thomas Ward marriage

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
windowframe

Thomas Ward marriage

Post by windowframe »

I hope someone can help me with a problem,
I am trying to trace a marriage in Ireland for:
Thomas Ward married ? to Mary Christina Byrne, Mary/May was born May 1913 at Castledermot,Kildare,Ireland her parents are:
James Byrne and Rosanna Balfe.
mary/May died 2020 in Ireland.
Thomas and Mary had two children: Rose 1940 and Patrick 1942or45 both born in Dublin.
I am not able to get back on Thomas Ward as I do not know who his parents are, It seems that Thomas's family came from Galway,
I am told he died about 1945 but not sure where maybe Dublin or Birmingham but most likely Ireland.
I was told that Thomas was about 17-20 years older than Mary.
I was also told that Thomas's family migrated to Philadelphia and Flordia USA, but Thomas came back to England.
And that is when he married Mary/May Christina Byrnes.
I have bought many marriage certs from GRO Ireland but to no avail. Even bought a few death certs for Thomas but to no avail again.
I would be every grateful for any help I really need a marriage cert. so I can see who Thomas's father was, I don't even know what
Thomas did for a living.
Thank you in advance and hope a very kind person can shed some light what I can do.
I have all the info on Mary Byrne. I forgot to mention that Mary did remarry in 1954 at Smethwick to Joseph Morris.
VALLMO9

Re: Thomas Ward marriage

Post by VALLMO9 »

Question: What is Thomas' occupation, as per his children's birth certs? If not available, you'll need to acquire his children's marriage records, to see if his occupation is listed on either one. Without knowing his occupation, it'll be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

You could try searching for him in US Census reports, but they won't list his birth town/city/county. Only "Ireland". US Naturalization records would list his birth county and birth date, but would he have applied for US citizenship?

Also search in Ancestry's UK and Ireland, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960 collection for a Thomas Ward, born c1895. If he returned to Ireland, I would imagine his destination port was Liverpool. Then check the record images. They will indicate the "Proposed Address in the United Kingdom" and an Occupation. Confirm if any of the proposed addresses indicate Ireland.
Last edited by VALLMO9 on 01 Jun 2022, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
Templ4r

Post by Templ4r »

Name: Patrick J Ward
Mother's Surname: Byrne
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1942
Registration district: Carlow
Birth Country: Ireland
Volume: 3
Page: 266

Name: Rosanna Ward
Mother's Surname: Byrne
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1939
Registration district: Naas
Birth Country: Ireland
Volume: 2
Page: 657

Mary Christina Byrne was baptised in Baltinglass, Wicklow.
windowframe

Post by windowframe »

Thank you to VallM09 for your quick reply, in answer to your questions:
1. I have no idea of his occupation, not able to get children's birth certs as closure on 100 years.
2. His daugther Rose married in 1958 in Birmingham so I should be able to get her marriage cert as over 60 year closure.
3. His son never married.
I did find irish marriage for Thomas Ward 1942 Athy but upon further checking on ie.genealogy site, none of those woman fit as their fathers
were different.
I Had checked the shipping records on Ancestry but there are so many Thomas Ward or T.Ward or Tom Ward to go thru, the problem is I
don't know if when they say he went to USA with his family, did they mean his parents and sibling OR he was married before and went with
his own family of wife and children.
Thank you also to Templ4r for your reply, I had checked out Patrick J Ward and it is not ours, wrong father also Rosanna Ward not ours as well.
I will just have to order that marriage cert for Rose and hope it has her father's name on it etc.
Thank you all again for your time and patience, will let you know when I get the marriage cert of Rose what the results will be, it may take
awhile because of the delay with the covid19.
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Hopefully his daughter's marriage cert will provide the details you'll need to progress with your search.
There is a Dec 1943 death record in Dublin South district for a Thomas Ward (age 53). Occupation: Labourer. Address: 35 Thornycroft Street. Widow: Mary Ward. Record image is online at https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
Last edited by VALLMO9 on 05 Jul 2020, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
windowframe

Post by windowframe »

Thanks again Vallmo9 I will check out that death record.
windowframe

Post by windowframe »

Have checked out and found copy online of the death cert. 1943 Thomas Ward.
It looks like it could be my Thomas with Mary as his widow(wife) but not sure.
The address on it does not sound familiar, and I still don't know what his occupation was.
Have sent for his daugther's marriage cert, but I realize that when she married her
father was deceased, so I am guessing that it will show he is deceased and not his
occupation. Will probably be a few weeks before we will now, with the hold up at the GRO.
windowframe

Post by windowframe »

Further to this post after a long time, have established that Thomas Ward went to America on the Ship "Rhode Island" 10 Jan,1920 as not married.
He married Anna/Annie Clougherty as stated on his" petition for citizenship" document. Had 3 children.
He returned to Ireland sometime between 1931-1939, but seems to show up on the 1940 US census with his 3 children.
My problem is: As previously on this post I mentioned that family said he was married to Mary Byrne and had 2 children, but have not been able
to establish a marriage.
I got the birth certs. of the two children:
Mary Rose Ward born 22/2/1940 Dublin S, parent as Thomas Ward and Mary Doyle??? not Byrne, living at 10 Chelmsford Ave, Ranelagh,Ireland
Patrick Dudley Ward born 1/6/1942 Dublin S, parent as Thomas Ward and Mary Doyle???not Byrne " " " "
Patrick Joseph Ward died 5/5/2017 in Brighton and Hove UK showing his birth as 1/6/1942
I searched for a marriage of Thomas Ward to Mary Doyle but no luck.
It is noted that Mary Rose was put into a home when about 5 yrs Catholic type convent in Dublin.
and Patrick was put into Christian Bros in Dublin
Both were with their"mother" Mary Byrne she known as.
Can anyone help shed some light on where to go next or can see if a marriage can be found for Thomas Ward to Mary Byrne or Mary Doyle??
Thank you in advance.
windowframe

Post by windowframe »

Just one more thing, I have not been able to establish when or where Thomas Ward died, I thought as on previous listing it was him, but it is not.
I an not able to establish when a Mary Doyle/Ward died, but Mary Byrne died 2020. Also not able to estabish when Ann/Annie Cougherty died in
America.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Have you considered the fact that Mary Byrne was her married name, and her maiden name was actually Doyle, as per children’s birth certificates?

It is quite possible that a Mary Doyle was married a Mr Byrne, before she married Thomas Ward. GRO lists marriages by curent surname of women, not their maiden name, so if a woman was previously married, it would show her married surname. This makes it dificult finding correct marriage for Thomas, as you canly rely on Mary’s forename to search, if you don’t know whether Mary had been previously married.

You could resolve this if you could find parish register entries for all potential marriages, which would show her fathers name, confirming her maiden name. You could then eliminate the wrong ones!