We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Thomas William James Nicholson

Share your brick walls here, or help others demolish theirs.
Sucher

Thomas William James Nicholson

Post by Sucher »

I would like to re-open a thread first listed on the WDYTYA forum and is still unresolved. It concerns my wife’s grandfather whose name was Thomas William James Nicholson. He was born 8 December 1880 in Eastbourne, Sussex and married Florence Chandler in 1902, they went on to have several children. Thomas navigated WW1 safely having served as a sapper and was released from duty in December 1919. That is where the trail goes cold. Florence is described as a widow in the 1939 Register so there is a 20 year window for his death - but where and when did he die? That is the puzzle whose answer has been eluding us for years.

Thomas appears on numerous Ancestry family trees, most do not have a date of death, those that do are wrong. Those that are incorrect do not reconcile the age at death with his birth year. Florence had a child before she married Thomas, the girl was taken to Canada by one of her aunts and later moved to the US. One theory is that Thomas and Florence visited the girl in Canada or US and Florence returned to England and that Thomas did not - I think that is possible but unlikely. We have an abundance of information about this man save his death, family folk lore indicates a brawl or violence - it’s a mystery.

A fresh set of eyes may knock this brick wall down - please.

Many Thanks

Sucher
Templ4r

Re: Thomas William James Nicholson

Post by Templ4r »

I see what you mean, the trees on Ancestry are way out, not one is right. No mention of Florence, who he's working with at the pub in 1901. I take it his parents are Collins and Ellen (Bucknell).

Just so we know where to start..
Sucher

Post by Sucher »

Templ4r wrote: 04 Jul 2020, 17:57 I see what you mean, the trees on Ancestry are way out, not one is right. No mention of Florence, who he's working with at the pub in 1901. I take it his parents are Collins and Ellen (Bucknell).

Just so we know where to start..
Yes, they are the parents of our ‘lost’ man.

Sucher
Templ4r

Post by Templ4r »

Take a look at this tree.. Searched for Florence Chandler. Photos and a lot of details.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/ ... 7118/facts

and this one

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/ ... 7798/facts

EDIT...
I think they've got lost with Florence death. Eva Skinner is at the same address but Florence has the wrong husband and a widow according to the CWG site. I was looking for a newspaper report on Grace in 1912.

As you said, the trees don't make sense, even though a few seem well reseached. more delving methinks.
Sucher

Post by Sucher »

Hi

I’m familiar with both trees, the death in Thurrock is obviously wrong. Sadly, neither advance understanding about what happened to TWJN. Thanks for looking.

Sucher
Sucher

Post by Sucher »

Eva Skinner is the married daughter of Florence and Thomas. Both Eva and Florence were killed in a V2 attack in 1945.

Sucher
Sucher

Post by Sucher »

Templ4r wrote: 04 Jul 2020, 19:01 EDIT...
I think they've got lost with Florence death. Eva Skinner is at the same address but Florence has the wrong husband and a widow according to the CWG site. I was looking for a newspaper report on Grace in 1912.

As you said, the trees don't make sense, even though a few seem well reseached. more delving methinks.
Just tidying up this thread. Am pretty sure that the ‘wrong’ husband is due to war-time confusion. Florence’s son was named Edward, he survived the bombing.

Sucher
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Last seen in Pevensey?
Is this them?
Anyone got the Sussex Agricultural Express?
16 January 1920

I have conjured up some extra OCR text. Warning - some words may be missing, I have added a few!
PEVENSEY WIFE GRANTED SEPARATION
At Petty Sessions William James Nicholson, of Pevensey, was summoned by his wife, Elizabeth Nicholson, for persistent cruelty and she applied for a separation order. All women were ordered out the Court while the case was being heard. Defendant said had not been cruel to his wife. Giving evidence complainant said she married defendant in 1901 at Christ Church, Eastbourne, and there were six children aged 17, 15. 10, and 6....
Defendant was demobilised at the end November and returned to live with her...

It then seems to go on to venereal disease (perhaps why the ladies were ordered out!)

Defendant was all right when he went to War. He declared that complainant was the cause of it. On the 1st December they both went to the doctor and returning home defendant knocked her down and tried to strangle her. She did not wish to live with him any more. At present (he) was unemployed, but was a painter (by) trade. ...
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Great find, jonwarrn! The Sussex Agricultural Express article can be found on Find My Past in it's entirety. If David doesn't have FMP, I can send him the article.
Last edited by VALLMO9 on 14 Jul 2020, 19:50, edited 3 times in total.
Sucher

Post by Sucher »

VALLMO9 wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 14:43 Great find, jonwarrn! The Sussex Agricultural Express article can be found on Find My Past in it's entirety. If David doesn't have FMP, I can send him the article.
We are speechless! Not the kind of news that we were expecting - well found and thank you Jon. We found the full article but thanks for the offer.

Now we have greater understanding as to why the family broke up. If we can find out how, when and where he died it will close this chapter.

Thanks again

Sucher