We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

East Surrey Regiment Boer War

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
Norfolk Nan

East Surrey Regiment Boer War

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi

Is anyone here researching this Regiment please? I'd like to know if the regiment (particularly G coy) were in the UK between November 1901 and April 1902 please.

Thank you.
avaline

Re: East Surrey Regiment Boer War

Post by avaline »

Which Battalion?
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

The only thing I can find for G Coy is their involvement at the Disaster on Wynne Hills, 23 Feb 1900, commanded under a Major Treedy.

The person you're researching may appear in FMP's British Army, East Surrey Regiment 1899-1919 collection, which includes Boer War Medals 1899-1902. The original records for this collection are held at the Surrey History Centre. https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/culture-and ... ry-records

And don't forget FMP's Anglo-Boer War Records 1899-1902 collection.

This document details East Surrey Regiment Boer War Medal recipients and their company letters, if it helps at all with your research. https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/__data/asse ... 9-1902.pdf
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thank you both, I'm less interested in the individual rather than if he could be 'dad', but I will take a look at the website and see if he is mentioned.

Thank you :D
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

If a timeline of sorts helps, several men with G Company were attacked at East Surrey Regiment outpost No.4 Bridge on 5 Feb 1902.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I found my man on the website so I think it's fair to say he was not in the UK at the time! Thank you, that date would coincide nicely with events back home. Poor chap! Thank you again.