We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Bucks Militia c1800

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
Norfolk Nan

Bucks Militia c1800

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Does anyone know if the muster lists etc for the Bucks Militia is available online please? Thank you.
VALLMO9

Re: Bucks Militia c1800

Post by VALLMO9 »

According to the TNA, Buckinghamshire Archives hold the following:

1803 County Militia Paylist
1803-1812 Lists: Enlistment Certificates (not sure if this is militia-related)

Buckinghamshire Archives
County Hall
Walton Street
Aylesbury
England
HP20 1UU

Telephone: 01296 382 587
Email: archives@buckinghamshire.gov.uk

For a few quid, you can buy this Royal Bucks Militia publication from Eureka: https://eurekapartnership.com/our-shop/ ... -1799-1807
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thanks Mo. The Eureka publication might answer my questions. Typically, I lived near Bucks Archives until recently, no chance of getting there now. I wondered if anyone anywhere might have put info up online. The booklet is an acceptable start. Thank you :D
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

This is a good reference document from the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies: https://old.buckscc.gov.uk/media/262985 ... ldiers.pdf

I don't know if anyone has put the Eureka publication online. You can try Googling to see if someone has, but I doubt it, for obvious legal reasons.
Eureka also publish "Royal Bucks Militia - Nominal Roll 1812-1815".
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I’ve seen the publications before but not the websit - it’s a useful source to printed transcriptions so I’ve bookmarked it for future use. Perhaps some obscure website has the same info re Bucks Militia but I haven’t found it so it looks like Eureka meets my need.
AntonyM

Post by AntonyM »

This may be of help ...

There was a military census taken in 1798 across the country known as the "Posse Comitatus" because of the war with France. I believe Buckinghamshire is the only county where the full document survives. It lists and names the men available for military service, by location and occupation and even lists the number of horses that could be used.

The original book is at Bucks Archives, but published transcripts are available on-line - such as here , on the Bucks Record Society site:

http://www.bucksrecsoc.org.uk/BRS-VOLUM ... vol-22.pdf
Professional Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thank you, AntonyM. It is a useful resource, I’d recommend it too. :D