We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Images on FMP and ancestry

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
Jethro Tull

Images on FMP and ancestry

Post by Jethro Tull »

Hello all,

I currently only have a sub to Ancestry and am curious to know if anyone has both FMP and Ancestry and has compared images side by side from the WW1 service records set.

I am struggling to decipher some information on one set and wondered if FMP may offer a higher quality image, but I am assuming the scans are identical and from the same source.

Cheers

Dan
"So many ancestors; so little time"
AdrianBruce

Re: Images on FMP and ancestry

Post by AdrianBruce »

Ancestry sample:
Ancestry version
Ancestry version
Screenshot 2020-11-03 153819 Ancestry.jpg (134.57 KiB) Viewed 4254 times
FMP sample of the same page:
FindMyPast version
FindMyPast version
Screenshot 2020-11-03 153924 FMP.jpg (167.1 KiB) Viewed 4254 times
I think that's actually quite typical of the difference between Ancestry and FMP images. Ancestry always end up with a punchier image of higher contrast and less greys. FMP has less contrast (the page is usually white on Ancestry, and grey on FMP). FMP also has a lot more greys in the image. (The images as they come down to the PC both have 24 bits per pixel so the number of greys is probably an intermediate stage).

I have certainly found cases where FMP is legible but Ancestry isn't - the last one was a census form where an ink-blot made a crucial bit illegible - however someone on this forum's predecessor pointed out that the FMP version was legible.

As an aside, I always find FMP's search for military to be better - wild-carding the "regimental" number works on FMP!
Adrian Bruce
Jethro Tull

Post by Jethro Tull »

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for this.

It certainly appears that FMP is clearer.

It is interesting to see the same 2 records side by side and I can see how in some instances the Ancestry would be easier. I suppose I am now used to Ancestry but can certainly see also the benifts of FMP having it presented in a different way.

Cheers

Dan
paulr1949

Post by paulr1949 »

I have a sub to both (and, until later this month, sad person that I am) the genealogist - it was a present for my significant birthday last year - and I have often been able to read images better on FMP, but sometimes the opposite applies😳
The only disadvantage of FMP is that I haven’t found a way of adjusting the image, whereas ancestry allows you to adjust brightness etc and reverse it to white on black. HTH
Paul
Guy

Post by Guy »

I think the best way of adjusting images is to download them then use a program such as Photoshop to adjust them as required, rather than try to do things online. Others prefer online options.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Jethro Tull

Post by Jethro Tull »

I have tried to download them and then tinker with them on my pc but I think that the base image itself causes me problems if it is not too clear. I do find the tool where you can change the image to a negative quite useful at times.

Thanks for the input folks.

Cheers

Dan
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Jethro Tull wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 20:48 am curious to know if anyone has both FMP and Ancestry and has compared images side by side from the WW1 service records set.
We can all compare now, as military records are free on both sites for the next few days!
On findmypast until 12th Nov
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/page/free-access

Ancestry free access started earlier this wek, and finishes on Sunday the 8th (will fold3 join in?)
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/wartime-s ... b+Property
Jethro Tull

Post by Jethro Tull »

Even better!!! Did not know this!!

Many thanks

Dan
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

jonwarrn wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 11:21... will fold3 join in? ...
Based on the test I just did - no... At least - not yet.
Adrian Bruce
paulr1949

Post by paulr1949 »

Yes I tried a fold 3 record last night and no joy😡
Paul