We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

WW2 military records

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
Thunder

Re: WW2 military records

Post by Thunder »

There is an article in the August 2021 edition of WDYTYA Magazine. Basically MOD are trying to transfer the records to TNA but it may take seven years!. The issue does need to be sorted out quickly.
Norfolk Nan

Re: WW2 military records

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I agree. They offer a service but do little in return. I understand priority is given to providing records to living servicemen (that's understandable) and the other applications sit in a big pile until someone has the time or interest to tackle a few. Right now I don't know if my applications are in that pile or have gone astray. A simple acknowledgement would be something and an online application would at least offer that.