We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

WW2 military records

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
Norfolk Nan

Re: WW2 military records

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thanks Adrian. That looks good for me - grandad was born in 1902 so more than 116 years ago. And he died in 1968 so more than 25 years ago. That’s hopeful! :D
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

Norfolk Nan wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 22:30 Thanks Adrian. That looks good for me - grandad was born in 1902 so more than 116 years ago ...
So theoretically you don't need the DC to get at least some stuff.
Norfolk Nan wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 22:30 ... And he died in 1968 so more than 25 years ago. ...
Yes - you might need a DC to prove that because I'm not sure about the 25y business if you don't have one. Is it 25y on top of 116y or what? But cross fingers that you can get the DC and make it simple to get the full story.
Adrian Bruce
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi again … I’ve applied for two sets of records, the first back in March. No sign the cheque has been cashed so do I hang on a while longer before assuming the application is lost? I applied for second set (different person) at the end of April so I’m not expecting that yet.
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

I've forgotten - what's their usual policy on cashing cheques, can anyone confirm?

I have previously said that I think it's sharp practice to cash a cheque before providing the goods, so it might be that someone in authority agrees?
Adrian Bruce
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Norfolk Nan,
You say you have photos, if you can post them here, someone may be able to tell you which regiment he was in from his uniform and cap badge etc. Always worth a try.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi Mick, I posted some photos a while ago in the photos section (Army Photos - Help) they weren’t clear enough for identification unfortunately but they’re still there if you’d like to take a look. :D
phsvm

Post by phsvm »

I applied for my father's WW2 army records last year and eventually the application was returned with a note saying as they hadn't been able to deal with it within 6 months the cheque could no longer be cashed and I'd need to apply again so the fact you haven't heard anything doesn't mean the application's been lost.

I've reapplied for the records (when I managed to find a cheque book) but am still awaiting a reply. They don't seem to be speedy at the best of times.
paulr1949

Post by paulr1949 »

We applied for my father-in-law's records in (I thinki) March, but have yet to hear anything :o
Paul
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thanks both, I'll continue to wait ... and wait... :lol:
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Just an update - I have heard that applications are taking at least a year to be processed due to continued Covid restrictions. :?