We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Albert Roberts

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
meekhcs

Re: Albert Roberts

Post by meekhcs »

PARTIAL SUCCESS!!

I know the card I originally posted re "Albert Roberts" is incorrect.

From one of his child's death certificates I know that my "Albert Edward Roberts" was a private in the South Stafford Regt.

So I now have the following info to work with:-
A daughter was born 20 April 1914 at Belmont Rd Tiverton, Devon, Informant Mother, Father Albert Edward a Lacehand at the Lace Factory
A daughter died 20 April 1919 at Hammetts Sq, Fore St, Tiverton, Devon, Informant Father Albert Edward Roberts, Lacehand, formerly Private South [/b]Stafford Regt.

Somewhere between those two dates his service took place, and there were no further children born between those dates. This leads me to think he must have signed up in 1914 for the duration of the War as twins arrive in 1920!.
Sally
avaline

Post by avaline »

Which presumably has led you to Alfred Roberts 204021, 1st Garrison Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment, previously 201339 in the 2/4 Devonshire Regiment. However, that man didn't receive the 1914/15 star so will not have served abroad before 1916.

Listed on the same medal roll is a Herbert Huxtable who served in the same regiments under 201388 (2/4 Devonshire) and 204022 (South Staffordshire), and there was a man by that name born c1885 living in Tiverton in the 1891-1911 census.

EDIT: 'Did not serve abroad before 1916' should correctly be 'did not enter a theatre of war before 1916'.

The 2/4th Devonshire's were a Territorial Battalion, and Herbert Huxtable's documents are online. First joined for duty 1 Dec 1914 & served 5 years in India.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Hello Avaline

Thank you, yes I spent yesterday evening researching and found the following:-
WO 372/17/18022 which is the medal record you refer to

WO 86/70 & 71 & 72 This is a series of misdemeanors/disobedience records for Albert whilst he was in the South Staff. Regt
70 took place 20 May 1916 at Lichfield his 2ndary unit was "Depot"
71 took placce 25 July 2016 same as above
72 took place 25 Nov 2016 at Wallsend 2ndary unit "3rd Battalion".
On each occasion his sentence was commuted so he served shorter time.

To view the WO 86 records I will have to visit TNA. I hope they will have more detail to tie these records into our man. Interestingly none of them include a service number or date of birth.
Sally
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Found the disciplinary records on Fold 3. Sadly service no.s were not recorded so another dead end.

WO 363/R887, 888, 889, Burnt records at TNA covering the Roberts surname may yield something
Sally
avaline

Post by avaline »

I don't think those were 'your' Albert.

These are all AE Roberts, whereas your man served only as Albert. Also 'your' Albert was in the 1st Garrison Battalion, South Staffs, and not the 3rd Battalion.

I believe he will have been in India with the 2/4 Devonshire, transferring to the South Staffs in (I think) 1917, and remaining in India. His service will have generally followed that of Herbert Huxtable. Even their service numbers in both regiments are very close.

I think the disciplinary records probably relate to Albert Edward Roberts born c1888 Willenhall - service number 25196, South Staffordshire Regiment. The 3rd Battalion didn't serve abroad - so there will be no medal card for him - but part of his service record has survived and he was in Lichfield 6 May 1916 to 5 Oct 1916, and then moved to Forest Hall (Newcastle). The 1916 incidents are not recorded on his service record (or those pages haven't survived), but he was further tried at Forest Hall in November 1917 & sentenced to 2 years with hard labour. This particular entry confirms he was in the 3rd Bn, South Staffordshire Regiment.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Avaline

Once again thank you for your hard work on this.

I am keeping an open mind on everything until I can hopefully tie a record to him. It is maddening that Herbert Huxtable's records have survived but Albert's haven't.

It just niggles me that the document for Albert and Herbert doesn't record Albert's full name. Having said that he only ever signs as Albert.

I may try the South Staffordshire museum, if there is one.
Sally