We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Albert Roberts

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
meekhcs

Albert Roberts

Post by meekhcs »

Albert Roberts.JPG
Albert Roberts.JPG (96 KiB) Viewed 3568 times
Can anyone interpret the references on the above record from Ancestry for me please?

Below is the reference from Ancestry
Name: Albert Roberts
Record Type: Card
Residence Place: Westexe South Tiverton Devon
Service Number: 45145
Corps, Regiment or Unit: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Title: WWI Pension Record Cards and Ledgers
Description: Other Ranks Survived
Reference Number: 8/Mr/1787

"Edited" I should have added that the service number seems wrong for WW1?

Many thanks
Sally
devonliz

Re: Albert Roberts

Post by devonliz »

First, I would say that the final digit in 1787 looks more like a 4 to me. How casual some of these clerks were!

Second, is this man a member of the notable Roberts family whose grandfather John Roberts (of Witheridge, not far from Tiverton) was reported as having 30 grandsons serving in the Great War? This family was the subject of a book by Paul Roberts, the great great grandson of John, which is featured in this post:
https://blog.britishnewspaperarchive.co ... war-story/

I note that one of the grandsons was a teenage Albert Roberts, but this lad was killed while serving with the Devons.

Your Albert could still be a relative - and he came back, thankfully.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Hi devonliz

Thank you for the link I will have a look.

The Albert Edward Roberts I am actually interested in was a relative of my Husband, bn 1886 in Tiverton, Devon to James and Eliza.

I know he served in WW1, and returned, but I don't know if this record refers to him as I have no dteails of his Service career. I am looking at it because of the address. Our Albert lived in Tiverton all his life, in and around the West Exe area, but the Family originated in the Liskeard area of Cornwall. Albert's Father was James and in 1907 Albert married his wife Alice Elizabeth.

I wondered if the record may give any clues. I haven't been able to locate any records for him. He was probably part of the Burnt Records.

I have built the rest of his timeline, and at present am waiting for the Birth cert of his daughter born in 1914 in case he haad already signed up by then.
Sally
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

I did find a Service Number 45005 for a guy who entered the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers in 1918 - so far as I can see on a very quick glance. So not much different from your chap - if indeed 45145 is his service number.
Adrian Bruce
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

... and a 47703 who joined the RIF in July 1918.

Six digit numbers (at least in infantry regiments) were used by the Territorials from 1917(?) onwards.

Regulars and those joining up in WW1 (but not in the Territorials) started with 4 digit (or even 3 for the long term guys) and gradually worked up into 5 digit numbers.

Actually, 45145 was his service number - his index card and medal roll are on Ancestry:

Name: Albert Roberts
Regiment or Corps: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Regimental Number: 45145

Oh me of little faith... Other than the point that he appeared to join the RIF spring / summer of 1918, I can't add anything.
Adrian Bruce
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Adrian are you able to tell me what the references refer to PPs, SAE and S/MR
Thankyou
Sally
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Whoops my first post crossed with yours and didn't register. Thanks for the help

Yes I found the record on Ancestry and Fold 3
Sally
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

meekhcs wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 13:44... PPs, SAE and S/MR ...
Sorry - no idea on those. I'd guess that they're quite likely to be pensions office related in which case they possibly only have meaning inside the offices in question. The Western Front Association have a number of pages accessed from https://www.westernfrontassociation.com ... n-records/ - some might contain useful explanations.
Adrian Bruce
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Thank you Adrian
Sally
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Received the birth cert for daughterVera Rose bn 1914 but ir doesn't answer either question. Albert hadn't joined the army by then and the Family were living at yet another address!
Sally