We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Grandad (Submariner)

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
Emmsy81

Grandad (Submariner)

Post by Emmsy81 »

Hi
I am trying to find information on my Grandad, Leslie James Radcliffe, He was Born 9/1/1929 and died 5/3/1985.Lived at died in Manchester.
His Wife my Nana has recently passed also, and we have found a Certificate from the Spithead Review and Nana had a Note with his service number on, However I am coming up blank and can't find any information.

He joined the Royal Navy age 17.5yrs old in 1946, was posted to Malta in 1951 and left in 1954.

After his Christmas leave in 1948 he returned to Portsmouth and joined the Submarines, he joined the H.M.S Teredo, his best Man at his wedding in 1950 was Eric Clegg another Submariner on Teredo.

I hope someone can help.

Many Thanks
Emma
Attachments
Details Nana had of his Service Number
Details Nana had of his Service Number
6fe94c5d-895c-4b4c-9b92-d8f93ab869eb.jpg (65 KiB) Viewed 3000 times
Coronation Review at Spithead
Coronation Review at Spithead
spithead.jpeg (74.75 KiB) Viewed 3000 times
Leslie James Radcliffe
Leslie James Radcliffe
grandad.png (207.87 KiB) Viewed 3000 times
AdrianBruce

Re: Grandad (Submariner)

Post by AdrianBruce »

Basically, all detailed personnel records are still held by the Ministry of Defence. It's not impossible that odd bits can be found outside the MoD in naval newspapers, say, but the full story - for reasonable privacy reasons - remains at the MoD. So that's why it's very unlikely that you'll find anything elsewhere.

You need to go to...
https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... ce-records
... and read through that.

You'll need a copy of the death certificate and some authority from the next of kin (it may be that the death is sufficently long ago that such an authority isn't needed but if you can get it, it surely can't be a bad thing). Usually people get worried that they need absolutely everything but that tends not to be the case - you just need to give the MoD enough to identify the person in question. In any case, you have the service number, which is surely a real help. (I think that the C/SSX may be part of the "number", by the way).

How long it's ikely to take, I've no idea - it took months at one time - before COVID!
Adrian Bruce
phsvm

Post by phsvm »

I applied to the MOD at the beginning of Feb for two sets of records and they haven't even cashed the cheque yet!
Jethro Tull

Post by Jethro Tull »

As Adrian mentions the C/SSX is the prefix to the service number, there is a pretty good site here;

http://www.godfreydykes.info/ROYAL%20NA ... TINGS].htm

Which explains a little more detail of what the prefix means.

Cheers

Dan
"So many ancestors; so little time"
Emmsy81

Post by Emmsy81 »

You are all amazing, Thank You so much for all the information you have given x