We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Fold3 T Tubey

Post your queries about your military ancestors, or help fellow researchers find out about theirs.
Jethro Tull

Fold3 T Tubey

Post by Jethro Tull »

Good morning all,

Could someone please kindly do a look up on Fold3 if you have a sub.

On ancestry there is a record linked through Fold3 in the "UK, Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Admissions and Discharges, 1715-1925" record set.

The only info I have though is T Tubey and date of record 1885. (If I'm on the right guy he should be Royal Artillery)

Massive thanks

Dan
"So many ancestors; so little time"
AdrianBruce

Re: Fold3 T Tubey

Post by AdrianBruce »

Not for the first time - this is on FindMyPast.
First name(s) T
Last name Tubey
Attestation year 1885 <<Not sure if this really is the Attestation date?>>
Attestation date ? Oct 1885
Attestation corps -
Discharge date -
Discharge corps -
Document type Attestation <<No, it's a Discharge Document>>
Archive
The National Archives
Series Wo 121 - Chelsea: Pensioners' Discharge Documents 1760-1887
Reference WO 121
Box 0255
Record set British Army Service Records
And not for the first time, the data in the image is fairly useless. The heading is "Fourth Quarter 1885". The complete data is Name: Tubey T. Page 519. And that's it. Right now, I don't know what it is I'm even looking at - obviously some sort of Army index but what? Certainly not just RA data because there are occasional mentions of all sorts of regiments.
Adrian Bruce
Jethro Tull

Post by Jethro Tull »

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for this, so there is no image at all?

My understanding of these records are that they are pension records for soldiers from all regiments. The last couple I've looked at and obtained have been full service records from attestation to pension and that's what I was hoping for on this one. If it's the chap I am looking for he was serving in 1882 at least and discharged due to disability. I guessed this is where the 1885 comes from.

Not sure if Fold3 will have these records from the index you have on FMP.

Cheers

Dan
AdrianBruce

Post by AdrianBruce »

Why the #### can't providers do elementary stuff to describe their data? This is what that TNA reference points to:
Reference: WO 121/255
Description: Alphabetical Nominal Roll of men discharged without pension
Date: 1885 Jan.-Dec.
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
TNA Catalogue further says:
WO 121 Royal Hospital, Chelsea: Discharge Documents of Pensioners
These records contain certificates of service of pensioners of the Royal Hospital Chelsea similar to the discharge documents in WO 97. This series also includes general discharge registers for the period 1871 to 1884 and registers and nominal rolls of men discharged without pension for the period 1884 to 1887.
My emphasis. I'm never wholly certain when they started keeping the Service Papers of guys who survived their service but didn't get a pension - double checking in the books, I think that it was about the early 1880s that it happened, but there's nothing elsewhere that appears to be him on FMP. Looks like there might have been a transition period where this index was kept but not the full set of papers????

The image, Dan, is that single page from what I imagine is this Army roll of pensionless dischargees (to coin a term) - no image of service papers. Based on the TNA reference, Fold3 will have exactly the same image as FMP.

I cannot work out what the page number referred to is, by the way - maybe there were other registers that do not survive...
Adrian Bruce
Jethro Tull

Post by Jethro Tull »

Thanks for checking all of this Adrian, it's a shame there is not more available to link this to my chap.

I am not too certain either when they started keeping the records, it does seem hit an miss on all of these records sets what is there and what is not sometime. I may get lucky and find something else to link to my guy.

Thanks again,

Dan
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Hi Dan - The Fold3 record is on FMP with the image. However, the only detail listed next to T. Tubey's name is "Page 519".
For what it's worth, the chap's name directly above Tubey's is: M. Tracey, Page 519, 97 Ft, AR. Could he be Martin Tracey (Royal Artillery)?
Jethro Tull

Post by Jethro Tull »

Hi Vallmo9,

I've just stumbled on some medal rolls which give his name as Thomas Tubey, 7 mountain battery, Gnr 32681, so do not think it would be Martin Tracey. But I'm not ruling anything out!

I've also found another record on Fold3 for a Thomas Jubey, Dr 5397, (if anyone can see more on this one). It looks like a different battery, rank and number but wonder if this is my chap who moved regiments and was remembered by the time of the rolls.

Thanks all for looking at this,

Dan
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

British Army, Worldwide Index 1871
First name(s) Thomas
Last name Jubey
Service number 1600
Rank Driver
Unit or Regiment B Brigade, Royal Horse Artillery
HQ location Woolwich
Year 1871
National Archives reference WO 10/2347
Period 01/04/1871-30/06/1871

On FMP, there's a Pension record with image for a Thomas Jubey, Royal Artillery, discharge date 25 August 1880. I'll send you the image via email.
Jethro Tull

Post by Jethro Tull »

Thanks for the email Vallmo9, much appreciated.

Cheers for the input folks, it will give me a little more to investigate for a bit.

Cheers

Dan