We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Dates please

This is the place for your genealogy-related photos.
devonliz

Dates please

Post by devonliz »

OK, here goes:
IMG_0816 a.JPG
IMG_0816 a.JPG (362.28 KiB) Viewed 2705 times
These two photos seem to have been taken at the same time - if I am right, they are grandparents with two different grandchildren.
What date would you suggest? And are the children girls or boys? What ages?
VALLMO9

Re: Dates please

Post by VALLMO9 »

I'm thinking these photos date from circa 1850 -- due to the (apparent) Daguerreotype casing. Daguerreotypes always came in protective cases, often made of leather and lined with silk or velvet. Daguerreotypes were sold in Britain throughout the 1840s and into the early 1850s.

Although if the actual materials used to make these cases is compressed paper and card (rather than leather and silk) the photos could be collodion positives (ambrotypes). And that would mean these photos would date c1853 to c1860.

Note: Collodion positives are often confused with daguerreotypes because they are a similar size and were also usually supplied in a protective case or frame.
devonliz

Post by devonliz »

Although the outside of the case appears like tooled leather, and there is a velvet rim between the inner and outer frames, I think they are the cheaper version that you describe. The front cover has been torn away from each one and I can see a wooden frame to which a leather-effect coating has been applied.
The gentleman is wearing a distinctive style of bow tie - any comments?
VALLMO9

Post by VALLMO9 »

Sorry - there's too much glare on the photos to make out further details of the bow tie and/or the two children.
Also, I'm siding with the photos being Daguerreotype, due to the distinctive gold-coloured border surrounding both subjects.