We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Daft transcriptions

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
AdrianBruce

Re: Daft transcriptions

Post by AdrianBruce »

Thunder wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 23:03 ... Given that the entries didn't say where the places were I would myself not added a possible place in a county ...
Actually, given that the facilities in question were addresses, not place names, I'd agree with you.

And thanks for clarifying that I'm not totally doo-lally over Dun- and Dumbarton(shire).

Sally - you mean that there's a Tiverton other than the one in Cheshire?! ;) Next thing you'll be telling me is that there's another Poole apart from the one near Nantwich, Cheshire! :)
Adrian Bruce
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

I would have thought that most people would know that Newport (County Asylum) is not in Caithness, Scotland, but in Newport, Monmouthshire, I suppose they could have listed it as being on the Isle of Wight. It does make it difficult researching. It seems to me that TNA are quite happy to take the money for the copies of records but not for the quite often appalling transcription and geographical locations.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Thunder,
In the current climate I think this may become even more of a problem. Money/staffing levels/time even, will all play their part. With the vast quantity of documents held, once an error has occurred I doubt it will ever be rcetified, unless some diligent researcher actually points out the error to them.

Even then, the large Family History websites own so many index only record sets transcribed for them through a 3rd party, they have no way to check the errors pointed out to them, and so they remain.

Not a pleasant thought.
Sally
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Thunder wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 23:55 I would have thought that most people would know that Newport (County Asylum) is not in Caithness, Scotland, but in Newport, Monmouthshire, I suppose they could have listed it as being on the Isle of Wight. It does make it difficult researching. It seems to me that TNA are quite happy to take the money for the copies of records but not for the quite often appalling transcription and geographical locations.
Thunder,
You seem to have chosen a bad example. You may think everyone would assume Newport is in Monmouthshire, but what about Newport Gwent, or Newport Shropshire, or Newport Caithness? All fairly well known, so why would they assume the Newport Asylum (no county mention) is in Newport, Monmouthshire and not one of the many other Newports around. :D
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

I think Newport, Monmouthshire, is the most well known. Caithness is in my view a non-starter as Scotland has it's own legal and health system. If there are alternatives or it doesn't say which county then it's best to not say something that might be wrong.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Not to mention Newport, near Saffron Walden in Essex