We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Genealogy desktop software

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
Swilliams69

Genealogy desktop software

Post by Swilliams69 »

Hi everyone, we are running a feature in Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine on using paid for desktop software for your family tree rather than the free online family trees available on sites such as Ancestry and Findmypast. We're looking for some people willing to share their reasons for preferring owning the software and which package they use. Can you please either message me via the forum or write to me at sarah [dot] williams @ immediate.co.uk

Thank you!

Sarah Williams
Guy

Re: Genealogy desktop software

Post by Guy »

I, as I assume many older researchers started my research using paper files, with the emergence of home computers I bought a Commodore 64 (in about 1985) and transferred my research to a database stored on a floppy disk allowing a 'huge' 170kb storage. After a few years (early 1990s) I upgraded to a Commodore Amiga 500 and added the hard drive which plugged into the side. This was a step change in home computers giving 32mb of drive space without having to change any disks.
The main advantage for me was an amazing database named A-gene an off the shelf family tree program.

The advertisements claimed :-
A-Gene is a genealogical database which enables you to input and store details about the members of your family and print out a family tree. This version is limited to 200 persons & 70 marriages. Includes a text editor to add free form reports to records & allows you to show digitised pictures from within the program. Also includes pedigree charts & family group sheets. If you're at all curious about your family tree and want to arrange the data you have, A-Gene is the program you need. Needs 1MB of RAM.

That software also allowed me to export a gedcom file to my first Personal Computer (PC) and opened the door to modern computing. Unfortunately A-gene was not available on PCs so I changed to Brothers Keeper a program I still use today, although it has gone through many upgrades since those early DOS. Years.
One of the big advantages of Brothers keeper over other genealogy programs is the option to incorporate dedicated programs such as word processors, graphics programs etc., to manipulate text and images in any way you want rather than being limited to the basic options found in most FH programs. I also use Family Historian 7, a good program but it does not suit my way of working.

The story does not end there however as eventually websites started to appear that allowed the sharing of family trees on the internet, I first uploaded my research to a personal website and eventually added family trees to a number of third party websites including familysearch. With the advent of DNA I also added my family tree to sites like MyHeritage, FindmyPast and Ancestry.

I do not see these websites as an alternative to the software but rather as an additional resource to share research with other interested family historians all over the world.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Swilliams69

Post by Swilliams69 »

Thanks for this Guy (and for your email), what do other genealogists think? Do you have your family tree in multiple places? Do you have online and offline versions?
Amazinggrace

Post by Amazinggrace »

I am probably not much use to you but here goes.

I have always used Roots Magic. It was given to me as a present from my husband. I am a bit
of a luddite when it comes to technology but have found it really easy.

I have been able to supply other members of the family with a memory stick (with help from an IT friend).

Hope this helps
Grace :D
pinefamily

Post by pinefamily »

Like Guy, and many others, I started researching before computers. All of my research, folders, notebooks, etc. were stored together in paper format. Our first foray into technology was an ex-government PC with a 400 odd MB hard drive, running Windows 3.1 from memory.
The first FH program I used was Reunion, which was a revelation to me at the time. I later moved to Rootsmagic, which I found to be very good for my purposes.
For many years I refused to put a tree on the internet for others to "copy", after seeing the massive trees on Ancestry and elsewhere. But after recent discussions on another forum, I have relented, if only to put up an alternative to the erroneous trees already available, and leave something for future generations.
I agree with Guy: the online side of things are not an alternative but another avenue of research and sharing available to us.
Hardwork

Post by Hardwork »

Likewise, I began genealogy before the computer age. I started on an Amstrad but moved on quickly to Windows 3.1 and started off with a DOS version of the now defunct The Master Genealogist after trialling lots of other programs as well. I'm still using the last, version 9, today. I have looked at Family Historian and have Legacy, but for a one-name research nothing comes near to the flexibility and search facilities of TMG, in my opinion, though there may be better software for producing trees. It is such a shame it was discontinued.

Also, like others, I resisted putting trees on commercial websites, but do run two one-name studies with their own websites that have many trees on them. After taking an Ancestry DNA test fairly recently, I have put a tree on there site but only using the surnames and birth places of my direct ancestry, to facilitate with matching.

Again, I also think That one should keep an offline record, if only to record detail in much more depth than seems to possible with the online versions.