We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Sources and citations

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
meekhcs

Sources and citations

Post by meekhcs »

I am trying to find a less cumbersome way of adding these to my pencil and paper Tree. Any suggestions please? At the moment they seem to be taking over!
Sally
Mick Loney

Re: Sources and citations

Post by Mick Loney »

How do you add them at present, that makes them cumbersome? I would assume that as you are using a paper tree, rather than a family history program, you would just be adding notes to say where you got the information from. Or am I missing something?
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

With my Ancestry tree I can obviously automatically add the correct records I find on the website, and with them you can see the source and citation. Any info I add from my own records I mark "cert held", newspaper details, FMp etc

I am getting lost in how much of the S&C info I actually need to add to my paper tree.

In terms of research My paper tree mirrors my Ancestry Tree, but I am unsure how much of the S&C I need to add to my paper Tree from records held Ancestry, FMP, etc. Is it sufficient just to write Ancestry and the Name of the Record Collection, or should I go further.

Fifty years from now who knows how much of the detail we find now, will still be in the same form, or on the same website.
Perhaps I am over thinking this?
Sally
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

As you can automatically (your words) add items from Ancestry, it sounds like you are also using a program, as well a paper and pencil. Personally, I would keep the manual tree simple,( i.e no C & S) and store these details in your program only. Failing that, I would just note the site and recordset where you found the information, remebering that any website address may not be valid in say, 10 years time!
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Thanks, having spent lockdown getting my Tree back into order after the chaos I created previously I have become a little OCD!!
After thinking through the problem, if I really want to add the full works, I can just print it on the back of each record that I download print to add to my paper collection, or as you say, for the rest, just make a simple note and leave full details on my online Tree.
Sally