We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Research in Progress

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
Norfolk Nan

Research in Progress

Post by Norfolk Nan »

This is another of those 'what do you do' questions - apologies in advance.

I've got a particularly annoying brickwall that I butt my head against every few months. As a result I've kept all the notes and scrappy bits of paper and printoffs from each new bout of research 'just in case' something comes to light at a later date and as a way of showing what's already been looked at. Everyone must have at least one such line of research - how do you record your notes, the dead ends, the bits that might be useful eventually? Do you keep a database, or a card index or stuff it into a shoe box? I'm getting a bit obsessive about hoarding this stuff so if you've a better system I'd love to know.
pinefamily

Re: Research in Progress

Post by pinefamily »

I'm pretty much like you, Nan. Although I learned years ago a notebook is preferable to scraps of paper ( all of my research was in a big green plastic bag until my wife organized me lol). Keeping track of everywhere you've searched is important, to save time at a later date. It is a bit easier with online searches, but I do try to keep a record in a notebook.
Coming back to it after a break is very helpful; fresh eyes will see something new, or from a different viewpoint.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

That’s reassuring pinefamily. I’m very fond of my bits of paper and the notebooks, the mad-hatter sketches I make working out connections or conundrums. They’re almost more fascinating than the resolved matter. Online research reduces the need to keep stuff of course - archive work has that element of ‘I may never come this way again’ doesn’t it.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Because, like you, I had masses of notes and scraps, at the beginning of the 1st lockdown I reorganised and put them all into notebooks. I actually keep a notebook for each grandparent line so they are easier to find.

I am now working through and tidying my Tree so I have another "to do" notebook which I am organising by "archives I need to visit", because, Like many of us I am sure, I am planning lots of future trips. All the record offices are a distance from me and I would be annoyed if I forgot to check on something whilst I was there because I hadn't made a note!!
Sally
pinefamily

Post by pinefamily »

Living in Australia, I can only dream of going to Record Offices and archives over there. :)
I'd love to be accidentally locked in to one or two of them......