We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Ancestry marriages

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
jonwarrn

Re: Ancestry marriages

Post by jonwarrn »

It's curious that the Buckinghamshire Baptism Index on fmp also has a baptism of Moses Ashby in 1784 at both Bradenham and West Wycombe.
With mum's name being spelt Anne at Bradenham, and Ann at West Wycombe.
They have two entries for Bradenham, perhaps one is from a BT.
Is there any more info in the transcriptions?

MF 1999830 is West Wycombe BTs
MF 919260 is West Wycombe PRs (nothing else on film)
MF 952859 is Bradenham PRs (ditto)
jonwarrn

Post by jonwarrn »

Also baptized at Bradenham in 1784
Sarah Hawes/Haws
Henry Lacey
Charles Lloyd

All indexed twice each at Bradenham on the BBI.
And all indexed as baptized at Bradenham on England, Select Births and Christenings. From MF 952859.
No entries say West Wycombe.
Only for Moses Ashby!
jonwarrn wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 15:28 MF 952859 is Bradenham PRs
And why do the other three come up at Bradenham on FamilySearch from that film, but not Moses? :?
Last edited by jonwarrn on 01 Apr 2021, 16:01, edited 2 times in total.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Hi jonwarrn - I must get to grips with FamilySearch! Thank you for looking further.

Moses bp 1784 to Thomas and Ann (nee Hoar), was the last (that I found) and only child baptised in 'Bradenham' - the earlier four (David, Anne, Hannah and Elizabeth were all baptised in West Wickham according to the indexes - I haven't looked at the films - which is why I made my comment earlier in this thread. I haven't pinpointed burials for Thomas or Ann yet.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Norfolk Nan wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 14:42 Thank you Guy. Your explanation is appreciated. I'm not very familiar with FamilySearch - perhaps I should be?
Shame on you :D
Family Search, created by the LDS, is the place to go for genealogocal research. Many of the records available on Findmypast and Ancestry came originally from Familysearch, especially, Ancestry, who are part of the LDS family.

Create a user account (free, with absolutely no link to Mormon church of Latter Day Saints, their members have their own access) and you can freely access records and films which haven’t yet been indexed, so not available elsewhere.

Once logged in, you can search their catalog for a specific town, and if you restrict your search to ‘on-line’ items, the results will show what is available.
Example:
Search Catalog for Warrington, Lancashire. Then select church records, then select St Elphins and you will be presented with a long list of films for the church. Some will be indexed, some will be microfiche only (not browsable) but the ones you want are those with a unlocked camera icon, which means they are freely available to view.
Select the records you are after and click the camera icon. The film roll will be presented to you to browse.
NB When you have found what you want, but there is no download link for the image, just grab a screenshot :D
That should get you converted - good hunting
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Mick - I am ashamed :roll: . In the early days of the IGI I came across far too many errors and it put me off. I hadn't realised they'd rebranded as FamilySearch and were so respected until recently - by then it was far too easy to stay with what I knew. But you have converted me and I will go and try out your instructions.

Thank you (and thank you everyone for your patience) :lol:
Guy

Post by Guy »

Unfortunately many familysearch images can no longer be viewed online as the money grabbing archives that originally lent the registers to the The Genealogical Society of Utah have decided they can make money by charging for them and no longer allow The Genealogical Society of Utah, the arm of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that filmed the registers since 1894 the right to do so online.
You can however view the images free at any LDS Family History Center, may I suggest if you do choose to view the images at a FHC that you leave a donation as all the LDS genealogical information is paid for through by the tithes members of the LDS pay and they will never ask for a donation themselves.

Disclaimer I have no involvement or attachment to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints other than as a long time user of their resources.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Point taken, Guy. I've taken a look at the website and it looks like I'll need to make a visit whenever they are open. Thank you all.