We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Ancestry marriages

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
Thunder

Ancestry marriages

Post by Thunder »

I have just come across one of my ancestors marriages from the marriage register for Todenham (Gloucestershire) which is listed as being from Tidenham (Gloucestershire)!. Presumably all the Todenham entries may be listed as Tidenham. There is also another parish which is correctly called Tidenham and which is near Westbury.
Guy

Re: Ancestry marriages

Post by Guy »

I have done a quick search for marriages in Todenham, Gloucestershire on Ancestry and it returns on the first page 1–50 of 1,556 entries. If it were me I would check you have the correct person.
There are both marriage registers and banns books for Todenham, Gloucestershire showing up as I scroll through the images.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

You may well be right Guy, but, in reply to Thunder I have found a real problem on the Hampshire Parish baptism Index Transcriptions on Ancestry. Many of my ancestors are indexed as having been baptised in Whitchurch in Hampshire, where as I know they were baptised in Wield in Hampshire and other surrounding villages as I have looked at the microfiches of the original Parish records in Hampshire Record Office. Whitchurch and Wield are miles apart. Someone was having a real off day when transcribing. I have mentioned it to Ancestry.

As a rule of thumb I disregard all Birth, marriage and death, Index only, transcriptions that come up when researching, or at best make a note for future reference if I am having trouble finding the info I need.
Sally
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Similar problem with Buckinghamshire. I’m looking at baptisms c1780s (so totally unconnected to the civil reg districts) and yet am finding blanket districts that offer no help with the actual facts. By sheer luck I discovered the actual place of baptism was Bradenham and not West Wycombe in one case (all dates and names matched) so how many more of the many West Wycombe events actually happened elsewhere?
Guy

Post by Guy »

I don't really understand your problem the two villages are about 2 miles apart, I see no reason why villagers from either village may not attend a church in the adjoining village.
Did the family of the Bradenham baptism live in the village of West Wycombe or did they live in a house between the two villages? There could be 101 reasons why a particular infant was no baptised in the expected parish.

Was the regular vicar ill or on holiday?
Did the family worship in West Wycombe?
Were the family tenants of the Earl of Warwick, if so they might feel obliged to worship at Bradenham.
I am sure you realise we have to keep an open mind when we search for ancestors and that social obligations were important in the past, even more so than today.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Guy, my point was that it was the same baptism - unless they baptised the child in two different churches on the same day. There are three entries on Ancestry for Moses Ashby's baptism on 11 September 1784 - two in West Wycombe, a third in Bradenham. The fine print shows they are from three different films from FHL. I don't understand why that would be the case but perhaps you can tell me? I'm not experienced in these things.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Have you tried looking at the header of the section of film in question? A film usually has lots of batches, covering lots of registers and churches within it, each separated by a header and a footer.
What I think may happen is that these sites may be reporting the contents of a film based on what is on first header, not realising it may also contain records from other registers/parishes within the same film!
Only today I was looking at a Baptism Register page, which clearly showed town & Church at top, which didn’t match what was shown on the site’s transcription. One reason I distrust transcriptions, I need to see for myself before I believe it :D
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I haven't Mick, but I will.

Can you/anyone explain the point of the entries on Ancestry headed England, Select Baptisms that just show three names, no date, place or other reference, not even in the small print. There are dozens of them but they don't help in any way as far as I can see.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Norfolk Nan, I think I may have discovered the problem, you are accessing transcripts rather than images of original registers and dare I say it LDS transcripts.
First let me say I hold the view we as genealogists should welcome the time effort and resources that the LDS have invested in filming records and making them available to all free of charge.
I am in no way knocking their efforts, however other sections of the community use their original records and problems start to appear.

In the case of the three Moses Ashby references you mention I have dug a little further and found the following results from the Familysearch site.

I used the following search details the name Moses Ashby and did 3 searches on for each of the film numbers the Ancestry site provided FHL Film Number: 1999830, FHL Film Number: 952859 and FHL Film Number: 919260

The first FHL Film Number: 1999830 returned the result the same as the Ancestry result but also had the note
“This collection is an index for the years 1538 to 1975. It does not index all records for this place, record type or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index.”

The second FHL Film Number: 952859 returned - No Results for Name: Moses Ashby Film Number: 952859

The third FHL Film Number: 919260 returned the christening of Moses Ashby dated 31 May 1818 at West Wycombe,Buckingham,England. Father Thomas Ashby, mother Elizabeth.

I should add none of the above gave the option of viewing an image of the register.

It seems somewhere down the line things have become muddled.
Cheers
Guy
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Thank you Guy. Your explanation is appreciated. I'm not very familiar with FamilySearch - perhaps I should be?