We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

Surname Variants

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
Norfolk Nan

Surname Variants

Post by Norfolk Nan »

At the moment I’m working on an Ashby tree and am amazed at how many variants have cropped up. First, the problem of a lack of consistent spelling on original documents - my great grandmother wrote her own surname three different ways on the 1911 census - so I have to take Ashbey, Ashbee and Ashbe, Asbee, Ashby, Asbe amongst others into account. But transcriptions have been a real source of frustration - ahshby, Ashley, Ahsley, Ishley to name but a few. Most picked up by knowing a spouse otherwise they might never have been found.

I’m sure I’m not alone - how do others factor this into their searches? I know we shouldn’t rely on indexes but they are a starting point for most of us, particularly in the current pandemic. When a search comes up empty how can you be confident it’s really not there rather than it’s been wrongly transcribed?
meekhcs

Re: Surname Variants

Post by meekhcs »

If the site you are using I would use wildcards then I would employ the following search possibilities eg Ash* or As* or any the first couple of letters of any variation you have found to date.
Sally
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

I has a similar problem yesterday, looking for william downing in 1881. I had him in 1871, his marriage in 1873, and 1891 cesnsus, all within a few miles in Southwark, so reasoned he would still be there or thereabouts in 1881. Broadly searching for his wife emma elizabeth (no surname) threw up too many results, so tried Emma D*, still too many then tried Emma Do*. At last a manageable number to check. Scanning through the results, I spotted an Emma Doconing! Quick check and there they were, william, his wife emma and daughter emma.

The transcriber had made a reasonable guess at the ambiguosly written surname, and came up with Doconing. It was only because I knew the correct surname that I see it could also be read as Downing. So it pays to search broadly at first then slowly narrow down the search criteria!

The best I have found so far during my research, was a mistranscription of Jemima Rothery. She was transcribed as Jennings Korbury (is that a real name?) No amount of wild cards would find that one! :D :D
pinefamily

Post by pinefamily »

Sometimes you just have to be creative with your searches. On Ancestry you select "similar" and "sounds like" and "soundex". Not sure if you can filter searches on FMP, but by selecting "name variants", it tends to throw up a variety of spelling variations.
Mick, how did you find that one?
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

It was a while ago, so don’t remember the exact details, but it is possible she was at same address as a previous census (something always worth checking)! :)

Ann, I have similar problems with my Rothery ancestors. Some of the names use are Rothery, Rotherey, Rotheray, Rothera etc. I became wise to this fairly early on, and nowadays, generally use Rother* or even Roth* in searches
pinefamily

Post by pinefamily »

It is often repeated that an unusual surname is easier to research. However how the surname is often misheard and recorded wrongly, or mistranscribed is another matter.
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Indeed, my gt Grandmother's maiden name was Conduct. I couldn't tell you the number of different spellings I have come across for this Family including ? and ! inserted for letters, and some are downright rude!! :lol: :lol:
Sally
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Even happens today! People ask me name, which I spell out for them, and they still insist on adding an extra o :)