We welcome any query on Who When Where. If you have previously posted it on another forum (including the old WDYTYA forum), please state this in your opening post - this will save people redoing the research which has been done before: they can look at it and possibly go further with it.

How to stop head-banging?

A space for genealogy-related conversations.
meekhcs

Re: How to stop head-banging?

Post by meekhcs »

Hi Norfolk Nan

Our match was only 8.5cM, which normally makes me run a mile! We did, however, have lots of shared matches, all of them larger than our actual match eg 45cM, 174cM. Illegitimacy and adoption was involved, but eventually her match to me was via through a sister and brother my 3rd, her 4th Gt Grandparent in the early 1800s.

Some of the shared matches were agreeable to sharing some data which also helped in the search. It was finding the correct birth Father that clinched it.
Sally
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Mind-boggling! :o I'll never solve my knotty problem via DNA - it's part of OH's family tree and he won't do DNA. I'll have to stick with the old-fashioned way. Well done, by the way :D
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Norfolk Nan,
Don’t forget your children. If OH is their father, their DNA will help bypass OH and get to his ancestors that way.
(I’m assuming Nan in your username means you have grandchildren and children) :D :D
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Mick, yes I am a nan but no, OH isn't dad :o Second marriage for us both and he has no offspring. I'm creating the tree for his nephews and neices, or their children, if they are interested. And because I love the hunt.
Mick Loney

Post by Mick Loney »

Have you thought about the nieces and nephews? They share some DNA with OH, better than nothing
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

Worth keeping in mind ... ;) On the otherhand, I could 'work' on OH...
pinefamily

Post by pinefamily »

Nan,
In your first post you mention some records that you've looked at. You don't mention church warden accounts, which sometimes name individual parishioners.
I was lucky enough to find a layout of pews in the Lyme Regis church warden accounts, which gave me the final piece in proving who was the father of my 3x great grandmother.
Norfolk Nan

Post by Norfolk Nan »

I haven't looked at churchwarden records but I think I will now, pinefamily. Thank you for that, every idea is very useful. :D :D